Sunday, October 27, 2024

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!!!

 Okay....my favorite month has been taken up with events other than Fall festivities!  This week I was up and going to take my walk when all of a sudden I  had double vision.  It finally went away after about 10 minutes and I thought of going ahead and taking my walk but then I thought to myself....."Sam....you're 75 years old and at that age you need to pay attention to things that are telling you something isn't right"....so I thought better of taking my walk and called the doctor instead.  The nurse told me it might be a mini-stroke so I should go over to the hospital because my doctor was on duty there anyway.  I went and had blood tests and a CT scan of my aorta and my brain.  Anyway, I was there a long time and in the end my blood tests were fine but my blood pressure was over 200 and my heart was fine but the double vision was caused by a blockage of blood to my brain.  So, I dodged a bullet there but not getting blood to my brain is not a good thing.  So, I am to take a baby aspirin daily and it's funny as I used to for years and then my other doctor told me it doesn't do any good and to stop.  I go back in Monday to see if I need to go on blood thinners.  Friday night I felt off-balance like I was on a rolling ship...not dizzy.  I went to put something on my closet shelf and fell backwards against the wall and scraped my arm on the door frame.  But nothing broke....I am a lucky son-of-a-gun.  Now I know why older people talk about their illnesses and operations.....that's what getting older is all about!  But in my case, it could have been worse.  The gal next to me in the hospital did have a stroke and thank goodness it only affected her speech and that was returning. 

But other than that I had a productive week.  I've gotten all my shots now including RSV.  I had my regular doctor appointment, and went grocery shopping and dropped off a load to the thrift store.  I finished the Halloween ornaments for the grands and forgot to take a picture of them and the cute treats I made them but here are the ones I made for my tree...........the treats were just rice krispie treats with edible eyeballs on them.........


    

I also finished my hat but that project was a hot mess.....lol!  I used circular needles thus the reason I didn't have purl bumps on both sides and then somehow I switched and started knitting on the wrong side....not enough blood to the brain evidently....that may be why I forgot your birthday Connie!

Anyway, it's done and just in time for the cold weather...it's just for me so I don't feel so bad about the mistakes.....it's really not that bright of a red....and it has other shades of red throughout.......

My Fall/Halloween project is Autumn in Hawk Run Hollow......I've just started it and it is HUGE!!!

I've only got the top border outlined so far.......I'll show you the progress on my other projects next week...

The colors this Fall have been gorgeous and the weather too.  We finally got some rain on Friday and it was needed and appreciated!  There's more rain coming the end of next week.  I don't like it to get too dry around here with all the woods and the dry leaves but so far so good.

The birds are having a hay day at the bird feeder...downy woodpecker and the BIG woodpecker,  cardinals, sparrows, chickadees (my favorites....so cute), several others that I don't know what they are and purple finches.  I haven't seen a gold finch yet but they usually come around too.  Of course, there are the big birds...like the Blue Jay and crows but they rarely come to the feeder....I think they're too big.


 

I'm reading the last series of the Ann Hazelwood books about Missouri Wine Country and in addition to  news and needlework podcasts, I'm watching Doc Martin.

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying this beautiful time of year.

Happy Trails!!!
 
 

2 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Golly gee! I hope the baby aspirin helps. But, the new blood thinner of today are so much better than those that our parents used. No monthly blood checks needed! Your Halloween ornaments are sweet. Good job, Sam. Your hats will keep your ears and head nice and warm this wi ter. Sure wish we would get some rain here. We had another very dry monsoon season. Conditions are ripe for wild fires.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well that is scary Sam. Hope those episodes are over! Your Halloween ornaments are really cute!!