Saturday, August 24, 2024

Is it Fall yet???

 Last week was so nice and I was just sure the temps were dropping but then this coming week we are back in the 90's!  How can that be?  Also, I saw some leaves changing color until I realized the tree was dead....so disappointing!  But on the bright side, all the Fall flowers are flowering!  



So, hope is not lost!  I've heard there are rumblings of Fall up North so it's just a matter of time.  Meanwhile I am busy Fall cleaning and getting everything ready for Fall dishes, cozy fires, and decorating for the beloved season.  Tomorrow, I'm roasting a chicken and some acorn squash and maybe this week I'll make some molasses cookies.

This past week was busy with my daily walks, grocery shopping, pharmacy, doctor appointment and cleaning.  I did start making the Halloween ornaments and I have one finished except for the backing and the hanger for it .    These are from Satsuma House and they are done on perforated paper.  This is the first time I've done beading and it was fun!

I've been cleaning and organizing some shelving and cupboards and realized most of my jars of things are too tall for my cupboards so I purchased 2 of these containers that will fit.  In my farmhouse, I had the old farm kitchen with tall cupboards and the shelves were tall...not 7" high.  I used tall Ball canning jars for storing pasta, cereals, flour etc. but they won't fit in these "modern" cupboards.  So, I need to change things around.  I find the modern day kitchens to be very inefficient when it comes to storage space.  Hopefully these containers will help so I don't have bags of things sitting out and on top of  the fridge.  Any other helpful hints would be appreciated....

I've also been reading Susan Branch's blog archives and I love her decorating as she likes old things like I do.  Her blogs are a true joy to read with lots of info on old music, old movies, books, recipes, and just lots of inspiration.

                 

Happy Trails and pray for Fall to hurry up and get here!!!

  

14 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

When it feels less humid here....we think it's Fall! And it's actually been a little nicer here lately. Love that last quote. I walk really slow lately! lol

Far Side of Fifty said...

We are headed for real warm weather and humidity too this week. You have been busy! :)

Betsy said...

We're in a heat warning through Monday night. It was SO hot today. Dennis took Piper to the pool for a couple of hours while Mandy and I stayed and talked in the AC! I like your storage containter. I've been trying to figure out good storage methods too. We've moved so much I have a hodgepodge of storage containers.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Miss Merry said...

Reading Susan's blog and books always makes me happy! I really enjoyed our "brief fall" and I am not looking forward to the 100 degrees next week will bring. I am ready for fall, too.

Lin said...

Pretty flowers in your garden. We have had a cool summer but very dry so some heavy rain was welcome yesterday to freshen the garden. xx

Susan said...

Here in Australia, we start Spring on 1st September, but we are having a touch of summer - temperatures will go to 95F this week....at least the nights are still cool.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Well, at least we're still walking! Good to hear from you. I need to stop by...I'm getting so slow as to what I can accomplish in 1 day.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Yes, I think summer is having it's last hurrah with all of us....stay cool!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Yes, that's the other thing....where to store the ones that aren't being used but you know you will need down the road.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

You said it....her blogs and books make me happy too! Stay cool!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

It's actually not been too hot here this summer considering it is the South and there was a lack of humidity which was really nice. We've had more rain than usual too so I didn't have to water as much. Glad you got some rain!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

So for now we are in the same weather boat! LOL! But not for long I hope!

Jeanna said...

Have you moved recently? What have I missed??? Your Halloween ornament is so cute. I haven't stitched anything on perforated paper but I've seen some really nice projects that use it.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

No, I haven't moved. I'm just doing the Swedish Death Cleaning.....LOL! I should have started back in my 40's!!!