Thursday, July 7, 2022

Hot, Hot , Hot!!!

 It was a 104 degrees here yesterday...real temp!  I get out early and water but it's so hot that even though the plants have water they still wilt.  I haven't seen hide nor hair of birds or critters.  I think they just come out after the sun goes down.  When I turn on the cold water it comes out warm.  I am blessed to have AC and no brown outs so far.  Saturday it's supposed to cool off into  the 90's....lol!

I haven't talked about my book reading lately probably because I am still reading Grant...it reads like a good novel.........it has over 8,000 5 star reviews and I can see why...it's fascinating......

I have a personal interest in President Grant as I grew up in a little farm town near Galena, Illinois where he had his home.  I visited when I was young and discovered later that he had actually come to the little town  where I grew up and gave a speech at City Hall recruiting soldiers for the war.  The only problem with the book is that it is over 1,000 pages but I don't mind because it is so good.  My grandfather was a State Representative in Springfield, Illinois and I often wondered if their paths ever crossed, although Grant was not involved in politics at that time.  

When my Mother was young she said they took the buckboard to Galena with their produce to sell it where it would be shipped by train to Chicago.  I love that area and all the history that is there both American and family.  My family was Irish and I was told that the reason they settled in that part of the country was because it reminded them of their homeland.  It is a beautiful part of Illinois with rolling hills and beautiful scenery.

I'm also reading the first book in a series called Mystery on Hidden Lane but it's not very good so I won't be reading any more of them.

I was in bed last night just drifting off to sleep when I remembered  I hadn't blogged yesterday!  Where does the time go?  I'm still watching Poldark on Prime Video.  I've read 2 of the books and this is the first time where I've felt that the t.v. production was better than the book.

I hope you are staying cool or warm depending on where you live.

BTW, my daughter tested negative for Covid so she is on the upswing now.  She still has some congestion and she can't taste certain things but all in all that is good news.  Tracy still has it but the boys are fine so far.

Happy Trails!!! 
 

4 comments:

Betsy said...

We have a slight cool down here for two days before back into the heat again. It's very welcome, but with 96% humidity it really doesn't feel that much different.
Our London family has covid again. Plus our DIL's sister's family and their parents. The baby hasn't been tested but although she is sleeping more than usual, she isn't fussy or anything. Hopefully she doesn't get it. This makes their 4th time getting it!!! Not good.
Have a great day Sam.
Blessings,
Betsy

Miss Merry said...

We have entered the miserable part of summer and personally I think too early! Maybe it is my age, but gosh. I don't go out unless I positively have to go somewhere. My husband does our watering at 6 am. The other day we were only in the 80's but the humidity was in the high 90's.
Glad to hear the family is doing better! This virus just won't give up!! I will say my unvaccinated neighbor was positive again. I know vaccinated people are getting this variant, too. But two days after posting on Facebook how sick she was this time, she posted photos sitting in a restaurant. At this rate I may never be comfortable eating in a restaurant again.

Between Me and You said...

It was 76 degrees here yesterday at its highest point and that was quite enough for me, thanks! We never really get two days in a row consistently on the thermometer so today it's 64 degrees and a lot cooler with a nice easterly breeze. We're having spectacular sunrises and sunsets too. Glad the family health is improving. Everyone becoming rather laxadaisy here. I'm keeping my distance! Have a good weekend.

Jeanna said...

That is some serious hot weather! One thing about living on the coast of south Florida is we have our ocean breezes. They can still be warm but not HOT! I'm traveling to Tulsa, OK next week for a cross stitch retreat. They say it gets really hot there in July...what was I thinking? Happy to hear your daughter is on the upswing. I hope the boys continue to feel well.