Sunday, March 12, 2023

YOP Week #37 Year 12

 It was another busy week, doctor appointment, grocery shopping, and a leaky porch roof....again!  It's lasted about 7 years.  I called the roofers but nobody has gotten back to me plus the oven is not reheating so I think maybe the other coil has bit the dust.  I think he only replaced one last time.  I may just get a countertop oven that has everything...toaster oven, regular oven and the new fryer capabilities.  We'll see.

So, I didn't get a lot done.  Well, rather, the things I got done took me a long time.  Plus, I have not had a final finish for 2 weeks now!  

I'm trying to finish the Irish XS piece.......it is slow going at 36 count and several 1 over 1 parts.  I am not enjoying this and I will be glad when it is finished.  

One thing I am enjoying is Grayson's wolf XS.  I am stitching it on 14 count Aida by Cosmo (from Japan) and it is the most wonderful fabric I've ever stitched on!  It's almost silky.....I want to try their floss now.............this is an off white fabric and I am working on the muzzle of the wolf right now....that is not black floss...it is 2 different shades of navy blue..........they're hard to tell apart they are so close in color.....

I received my basket materials in the mail.........I need to ensure I have lots of free time to work on it as it requires soaking the reeds and then weaving them....wish me luck as I have never done this before.....

My biggest accomplishment this week was finishing Block #1 of my Block of the Month red and cream quilt.............. I have made quilts with squares but never created blocks before..........except when I took a beginner quilting class years ago...........this block is not perfect but I am really proud of it.........

Yesterday, I cut out the  pieces for Block #2...........and hopefully I'll work on it today...........I label all the pieces and clip them together otherwise you have to go back and measure them all again.....ask me how I know! LOL!

The doctor appointment went well.  They gave me an oral test to see if I had alzheimers and/or dementia or had suffered a stroke.  I passed with flying colors!  Yay!  He told me it is basically to get a baseline so they have something to compare to when I get tested again....to see when I start "slipping"! LOL! Since I am sort of nutty anyway, I'm not sure they would be able to tell.  

This next week I need to get the car in for an oil change and a check up.  I need to send the grands some St. Patrick's Day "treasures" and get the ingredients for corned beef and cabbage! Yum!  I'm hoping to get Block #2 done, and finish and final finish my Irish XS.  It's supposed to be rain free for the majority of the week so I would like to do some trimming and burning outside.  

Do you have plans for St. Patrick's Day?

Happy Trails!!! 


 
 
  

9 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I love block one! I think you did a terrific job!

A coworker had to have that test once. We all practiced for it, lol. I think I was ready to fail in my 30's. I am pretty ditzy. And clumsy, too. My son told me that if I am ever stopped for my crazy driving, you can insist on a blood test. Don't do the roadside tests for DUI because I will never pass.

Leftycrafter said...

I love your quilt block. Looks perfect to me. The St Patrick xs does not sound like fun but the wolf does. I had no idea Aida cloth had different feels. I stopped using my oven over a year ago. I bought an Oster French door 10 in 1 countertop oven. In fact I am baking brownies in it as I write this. Keeps my house so much cooler and does everything I need including air frying. My oven is now a storage unit lol. Also, the Oster uses a lot less electricity which helps with that bill.

Maureen D said...

HaHa. It's been rainfree in SW Florida for the past 2 months so we aren't allowed to burn anything. 2 weeks ago there were 5 wild fires in the area. I'm not used to that living in the midwest. We don't have wild fires. I can't wait to hear about your experience making a basket. Quilts are beautiful but I certainly don't need a hobby that makes big things so I'll keep resisting. I have a good friend that has all the fancy machines for quilt making if I ever decide to try it.

Betsy said...

You had another busy week Sam. Your block turned out beautiful. I really like that polka dot fabric. But the Irish xs is way too small for my eyes. The wolf looks more like my pace! :-)
I don't think I would do well with those tests. Since I had a stroke when I was 37, my short-term memory is awful.
We had a counter-top oven in the trailer for years. It worked great and i really liked it.
Have a great week Sam!
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Far Side of Fifty said...

No plans for St Pats day or St Urhos either. I hate missing the St Urhos Day parade. I like your quilt block, red and white is so good together! :)

Jeanna said...

You had a great week! Glad the doctor's appointment went well. You'll have the Irish cross stitch done in no time. The fabric you are using is gorgeous. 36 count is becoming my favorite but I really need to use up the fabric I have, which ranges from 14 to 32. Your red & white block is so pretty. Square-in-a-square and flying geese can be very challenging.

Susan said...

Busy times!!
We have a test here that a friend told me about - I think you need to count backward from 100 in 7s... not so easy when your brain is working well...I plan to start practising!
I love my Cosmo threads - I imagine the fabric is lovely to work on.
Hope you get your home issues sorted soon.

HighlandHeffalump said...

Sorry I’m late Sam. I hope the St Patrick’s Day xs improved and you got it finished. I’m excited to see the wolf emerge over the next few weeks and months. Marsha’s 10 in 1 oven sounds like an ideal replacement for your broken oven. In the meantime your energy bills will be reduced.

Alissa said...

I think you will enjoy weaving baskets. I did that for a time.