Saturday, July 27, 2024

Pity Party!!!


I'm sorry I didn't invite you to the pity party.  Yesterday was my doctor appointment for the results of my tests that I had.

The good news is that the kidney stones are gone and they weren't that bad for me but the bad news is I have severe osteoporosis and if  I fall I would break my hip and basically it's a downward spiral from there.  I told him I don't DO downward spirals!  Wow, he really made my day.  I was happy as a lark when I went in thinking I feel great and the ailments I have had are not bothering me but he broke that bubble!  He wants me to take Fosomax which  I took years ago after being on steroids (strong ones) for my RA but then you have to get off of them after awhile which  I was glad to do.  I don't like their ads because they warn that you might get fractures...huh?  Isn't that what it is supposed to prevent?  I will talk to the pharmacist as they are more up to date on meds than doctors.  So, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself but then I reminded myself that I have fallen several times in the last few years and not broken anything.  That doesn't mean I can't, but I can't be afraid of falling either.   What really bothered me is he thought I should get one of those 3 legged canes to use....HUH?  I walk fine, I do not limp, I do not get dizzy or off balance!  I mean really? There  may come a day when I need something like that but it won't be today!  I know he is concerned and he is a very caring doctor.  I think he worries because he knows I have an attitude of invincibility but so far that has worked really well for me!    Today I am back on track and feeling positive and invincible again.  It's raining today and tomorrow which is good because I didn't feel like walking after he put the fear of God in me.  But, I will be back walking on Monday.

Do any of you take Fosomax?  Do any of  you have osteoporosis?  I've had it for years and even falling I've never broken anything but  I've heard people on it get fractures...that's the part that scares me.  It may all be a conspiracy...lol!  Like my cousin Kay stated...."Old age is not for sissies"!

With all the rain we've had the flowers are doing great........I took these pictures one day when the sun was out....

These are water lilies across the street on the lake............

 and a little bit of something to make you  smile....

Happy Trails!!!




8 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Dang! Sorry to hear that news. I was on Boniva for about a year. Had to stop itnfornoral surgery and never went back on it. But did take me from osteoporosis to osteopenia. Since it was only once a month I liked that too. With RA osteo- anything is always a risk. Hang in there Sam

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

That's nice to hear...thank you!

Miss Merry said...

Osteopenia here. I'm just here for other's experiences too. When I was first diagnosed, the PA or someone called me on the phone and said they were going to call something in where I would have to give myself monthly injections and if I wanted, I could come in and they would help me with the first one. Humph. First I was shocked because 10 years prior my bone density was just fine. (disclaimer, I did fall the year before the second test and shattered my humerus. And I find it funny no one thought about a bone density test then. ) So I decided to just have him spell everything and wait. I waited a year until my next appointment and when I talked to my doctor, he didn't even remember prescribing the injections. And agreed with me the side effects weren't worth it.
It is hard to know what to do. My gut says I personally don't need the meds. I do take calcium supplements on my own. But my gut was no help when I shattered my arm. I am much more aware of my bones these days. I would like to hear more from others, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have not had a bone density test for a number of years. I have RA and Osteoarthritis...my latest damage seems more wear and tear and old age...we will see. I may have to get out my crutches...right now I am only upright because of Prednisone. I know that Val another blogger took meds for awhile and now she just does strength maintaining exercises. I had a bad injury to my left leg in 1979/1980 and they said I would only walk 10 years. So see there. they don't know anything.

Betsy said...

Oh Sam! I hate it when that happens. Here you are, all happy and things seem to be going well and the doctor has to burst your bubble. I don't have any experience with osteoporosis but I do wan tto give you moral support. You keep being you. You know. your body more than anyone else does.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Miss Merry! I will let you all know what the pharmacist says on Monday. The one nice thing si my doctor's Mother is 92 and he went through this with her when she was 87 and broke her hip so he knows from which he speaks and that is reassuring.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I agree, you know your own body better than anyone. I'm so sorry you are going through all this with the RA...it is no fun but they will get you acclimated, hopefully, with meds that put you in remission. The steroids are hard on the bones.

Jeanna said...

It is good to have a caring doctor but you know yourself best. Just be extra cautious....says the one that fell off a chair, geez!