Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Spring is on hold!

 Our last freeze date is April 20 yet we had a frost last night and there's one predicted for tonight too.   I covered my peonies and brought in my lilac............

I did some trimming outside and the lawnmower man is coming this afternoon.  I made a batch of waffles today to freeze and then pop in the toaster when I want one .....my own personal Eggo's.

I have gotten started on my 72 hour bug-out bag.............it's a start!  I do have 3 gallons of water too which don't expire for a year.  You're supposed to keep them in a cool dark place so I will be storing it all in the bottom of my linen closet.  Toiletries are next and I think I will go to Walmart and get those travel size items.  I need food for 3 days so I will have to think about what I want that to be.

As for my Food preparedness, I did buy some extra bags of flour and some extra canned vegetables.

As for my Flylady Zone 4 cleaning this week...it is the master bathroom, closet and bedroom.  De-clutter first and I've started that.  A lot of "crafting supplies" had taken up space in there....imagine that! 

 I'm working on sock #1 gusset decreases and the border on the giant granny square blanket....I'm on round 7 of 11.  I ran out of the orange yarn for the fox scarf; it only called for 1 skein but I have at least 6 more rows to go.  I ordered more yarn and it should be here Monday.

I've finished some books..........this was a slow read as a cookbook.  It was interesting but I probably won't be making many recipes from it.  Things like reconstituted dried corn or corn meal mush.  But then there are jams and jellies and some bread recipes and sourdough starter I might try. 

I read this book and it was hard to put down!  I gave it a 5 star rating!  It was the first in a 2 book series.




Amazon states "            The year is 1883, and in New York City, Anna Savard and her cousin Sophie—both graduates of the Woman’s Medical School—treat the city’s most vulnerable, even if doing so puts everything they’ve strived for in jeopardy...
 
Anna’s work has placed her in the path of four children who have lost everything, just as she herself once had. Faced with their helplessness, Anna must make an unexpected choice between holding on to the pain of her past and letting love into her life.
 
For Sophie, an obstetrician and the orphaned daughter of free people of color, helping a desperate young mother forces her to grapple with the oath she took as a doctor—and thrusts her and Anna into the orbit of anti-vice crusader Anthony Comstock, a dangerous man who considers himself the enemy of everything indecent and of anyone who dares to defy him.
 
With its vivid depictions of old New York and its enormously appealing characters, The Gilded Hour is a captivating novel by an author at the height of her powers."                    

I'm now reading the second and last book...........it is also very good!

 So, that all the news that's fit to print!  I'm off to do some more trimming outside and then de-cluttering my bedroom!  I hope you are all doing fine.

Happy Trails!!!
 


 
 

6 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

We had frost here in TX last night too. Tonight we are supposed to he above freezing. And then by Sunday we will be in the 80's. Looking forward to that. Good job on your prepping your bug out kit. Good to have incase of emergency.

Far Side of Fifty said...

When you make that bug out bag also make a list of stuff you need to grab...like medication...a list will help you not forget...maybe!
Downright cold here and freezing everynight.
Your lilac looks nice! :)

Becki said...

Making a bunch of waffles to freeze sounds like a great idea. You've inspired me - I may take the time to do that by sometime this weekend. I'm glad to see you have your priorities right with what you've put first in your bug-out bag. ;^) Tomorrow we hope to thaw out from last night's snow and freezing temps. And then it's back to spring! :)

Betsy said...

I used to make waffles to freeze when the kids were home. Maybe I need to do that again sometime. We had snow here on Monday but it didn't stick. However we've had below freezing temps every night including tonight. After that, a slow warmup until Monday when it's supposed to be 87! I can tell I'm back in the midwest. Ha!
Your bugout bags is a great idea and I think everything you mentioned is great. Connie's idea is good too. Last minute things you have to grab.
Take care Sam.
Blessings,
Betsy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I had to look up what a 72 hour bug-out bag was. Never heard of an emergency kit referred to in that way. Always learning something new. :) The a/c has been on here for about a month now. We did have a nice 10 minute rain shower last week which was a surprise. Don't think there will be anymore til maybe October or later. I make pancakes to freeze and am always happy when I can pop a couple in the toaster. Have a good weekend.

Susan said...

Winter is still clinging to our area - I wish it would go away! Luckily, things are late in blooming here, so my pear tree just might be able to make it this year. I need to face my closet - I bet I could get rid of more than half of my wardrobe now. That is a great idea, making waffles and freezing them. I have a good GF recipe that I am going to make and see if they hold up to freezing and toasting.