Sunday, April 18, 2021

YOP Week #42



 I hope you've all had a good week.  I've been absent from the blog scene as I have been cleaning and that isn't very interesting to blog about..  Because of my Spring cleaning I haven't done much handwork except at the end of the day.  I've been working on the Giant Granny Square border.  I got this book to help me find a border..........

it's a great book only I didn't realize that most of the borders depend on the number of stitches you have on each side.  That works if you know how many stitches you started out with but with a giant granny square it just gets as big as you want it and I didn't do any counting of stitches nor was I about to! LOL!  So, there were still 6 or 7 borders that did not require a knowledge of the number of stitches.  I chose one of those and it requires 11 rounds and several rounds are different stitches.    I am actually on the 5th round which isn't in the picture that I took last evening.....it now has a grayish blue next to the powder blue.............I am hoping to finish this week and get all the ends woven in.  I will not block it as it is acrylic but I will give it a good turn in the washer and dryer.

Here's my petunias that I bought last week.  They're in a basket hanging from a shepherd's hook in my front yard.  It has been cool, cloudy and rainy  this past week.  The sun is out today but it's supposed to rain again this afternoon.

My lilac bush is starting to open.  I decided to let it bloom before I plant it in the yard.

I ordered some new candles because pretty soon it will be too hot to order them....these rainy days have been cozy......this one is called Cozy Cabin and it smells wonderful...
 

Not much else going on but when it's not raining this week I will be planting.  Our last frost date is April 20th so I can get all my plants outside.  I also have yard work and trimming to do.  Tomorrow I'm cooking a corned beef brisket to make Reuben sandwiches....it's been a long time since I've had one and I love them!

Oh, Stitch Maynia is coming in May!.  I need to get my projects out from last year.  The only new projects I will start are the few open slots from finishes last year which aren't many!  Mostly, I will work on the ones that didn't get finished. 

Happy Trails!!!





 

9 comments:

Maureen D said...

I recognize that candle brand!! I love Bonfire By The Lake. We can't put plants out until mid-May although I guess I could plant my hanging baskets since they can be brought in on old nights. We are expecting snow flurries midweek. Glad you are figuring out the border for your squares. I know it will be pretty.

Lucy Bowen said...

Your plants look gorgeous already. It sounds as though you have had a busy week!

Miss Merry said...

I'm not sure where Maureen is from, but her weather sounds like ours. It was a wonderful warm and sunny Sunday, but they are using the "s" word later this week. My gramma always said you never plant until after Mother's Day and the weather and plant people agree. We have a little road trip to the Amish nursery planned for that Monday.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You must have had a busy week! Your border book looks interesting! We are supposed to get snow this week crazy weather it was 63 this morning and by afternoon 40...go figure! Have a good week Sam:)

Betsy said...

We're supposed to have a rain/snow mix tomorrow. That's too much winter for me in April. I'll be happy of sunshine instead.
Blessings,
Betsy

HighlandHeffalump said...

It is probably good that you are having a rest before the mania of stitch mania starts in a couple of weeks :) Plus you'll be able to enjoy it more in a spring cleaned house. I should start doing our spring cleaning too. :)

Jeanna said...

Your giant granny square is looking nice. Look forward to seeing it finished. I just plant new shrubs in mom's beds and a few flowers. Until yesterday, we hadn't had much rain so I've been watering for fear the heat is going to kill them.

felisha green said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leftycrafter said...

Your border is nice. It fits the blanket quite well. Your petunias are gorgeous. So nice to see flowers again. We are expecting frost tonight in Texas. It has been cold and wet since I got here. Can't even mow the lawn cause it's too wet.