Friday, May 19, 2023

A beautiful gift from my cousin...........

 My cousin, Kay, has a Dept. 56 Christmas Village that she has been collecting for years and it is gorgeous!  It is reminiscent of our favorite town in Illinois where she grew up and where I spent my summers.  Each of her buildings are from that town.  She said she was sending me something and it is a Dept. 56 building...my first!  It is gorgeous and it is Sam's Butcher Shop!  

Take a look at the detail although for some reason (I took the photos twice) I could not get them to focus....here they are...........this is the front.......

the side......

the other side..........

and the back which has a smoke house just like our Uncle Homer Gray's meat market........

Gray's Meat Market is still there but it is now a restaurant, I think.  The old smokehouse in the back is gone.  It's funny, because my son, Jim, built his own smokehouse and would smoke  his own meat....genes are fascinating as Jim never knew our Uncle Homer.

Thank you dear cousin for the beautiful gift and the rabbit hole that I am now tempted to go down! LOL! 

I'm winding up the "deep" cleaning of my kitchen not including drawers or cupboards...just walls, back splashes and anything that was on them....hopefully, I'll get back to painting my bookshelves soon!

Happy Trails!!!

P.S.  I am still hoping to get around to visiting all of you....soon!

 

5 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Oh this is beautiful Sam ,I am doing the same having a big clean in the kitchen ,I always feel good after a big tidy up 🌹🤍🌹

Betsy said...

That is such a great gift from your cousin. How fun is that? Your own meat market and smokehouse!
I can't believe with how bad you've been feeling that you're still doing your deep cleaning. Good for you. I should loan Dennis out to you for a few days. He'd finish up all of your painting, odd jobs, etc. in a few days while we sat and stitched! :-)
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Miss Merry said...

So cute and so great it has your name! Be careful, it is a dangerous hobby!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great bringing back memories gift!

Jeanna said...

That is a very nice gift from your cousin. Can't wait to see what other pieces you collect.