Sunday, March 28, 2021

YOP Week #39

It's been a really good week on all fronts.  I felt like I  made progress in all kinds of areas.  That doesn't happen very often either!  I met almost all my goals in my makes..........

9 " on the fox scarf.........

both heel flaps done on the socks............

several rounds on the Giant Granny....those rounds are taking longer and longer...note the progress keeper from my grandson...................

Some lattice work for a final finish on my first cross stitch sampler............

and the final finish.............

a little more progress on my Happy pillow..........loving it!

The rest of the time I was clearing and cleaning and planning my garden.  Yes, every year I say I'm not going to try gardening down here anymore and then I catch the bug and research methods to overcome my gardening pests and problems and away I go!  Last year I tried the kiddie pools which cracked and broke....especially when I ran into them with the lawnmower.  Then there were the squash bugs which ate my cukes, spaghetti squash and zucchini and the tomatoes which got eaten by birds....who knew birds would eat tomatoes?  All the years I gardened in Iowa I never had any of these problems.  People who are successful gardeners down here are miracle workers!  So, I've been watching Robbie and Gary Gardening Easy on You Tube and I am going to try their methods of composting in place, gardening in storage totes, and using tulle fabric to protect seedlings and plants from "critters".   I've ordered the totes, a soldering iron, a rechargeable pump for a bird bath, a power bank to charge the pump, and a bolt of tulle material. Now, I need to buy seeds and plants and away we go!  Wish me luck!

Plus, my neighbor got a smart phone that actually works in her house and it wasn't as expensive as I thought.  She got hers at Walmart.    We've never been able to get any cell phones that worked in our neighborhood but now we do!  Yay!  So, Tuesday I am going to Walmart to get myself one!

I have no stash this week but I do have some on the way which hopefully I can show you next week.  Are any of you gardening this year?  

Happy Trails!!!






14 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Good job on you progress this week. That sample is adorable. I like the way you did the back of it. I will keep that in mind when I complete some of mine and go to frame them.

Gardening! UGH. I have lived in Arizona off and on since 1976. I think it is one of the hardest places to garden. The only things I was successful at was lettuce, spinach, zucchini, carrots and radishes. Everything else either died from the heat or critters/bugs ate them. Oh yes, I did well at the citrus and apricot trees we had.
I would think Arkansas would be the perfect place to grow things, weather wise. But I imagine you do have lots of critters/bugs where you live. You seem to be in a more rural setting and that is where all those critters/bugs go to live too. Good luck this year. I hope you are able to actually get a good harvest. What will you be planting?

Alissa said...

I’m gardening!

Miss Merry said...

Wow - such a productive week! And your sampler is framed! So wonderful! I can't wait to see the Happiness pillow.

We have solid clay. We have spent 40 years trying to soften it - we roto tilled sand and compost only to have it sink to China the next spring, built raised beds and just gardened in compost and top soil until it sunk. My husband tried to garden in pots and we would either have a drought or torrential rains. Last year I bought (as a joke) a trellised tomato plant in a pot, it was about 3' tall. I got it at an Amish greenhouse. We had the first tomatoes in the neighborhood and enjoyed a tomato or two a day all summer long! This year I plan to buy two of them. If I didn't have a flat top electric stove, I would buy even more and do some canning. As long as I am going to the green house, I plan to buy a bunch of flats of annuals and have my elementary aged grandchildren that will be here days this summer plant them for me.

Good luck with the phone!

Cinna Knits said...

Great job making all your weekly progress goals! I love the finished sampler, particularly, I love your "behind the scenes finishing" picture. I've wondered exactly how they stay in place, and now I know.

I find gardening an act of futility. So, I don't really do it. This year the kids and I are going to plant Zinnia in the front beds. And I'm going to mulch all the beds this year. Then hope for the best!

Between Me and You said...

There was an 'expert' on tv the other day saying how insect numbers are depleting around the world and I thought 'not in my garden they ain't'!!! I'm determined to wage war against the slugs and snails this year, otherwise planting all the seedlings outside that I've recently sown will just be futile and such a waste of time,energy,resources and money! I love your energy in attaining your goals. Have a great week my friend.

Betsy said...

Wow Sam! You've been on a roll this week. Everything is looking good and I love your sampler and how you finished and displayed it. So pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing some of my old friends when I unpack at the house.
I always had good luck gardening in Nebraska. A very small 10-12 patch would yield oodles of zucchini, tomatoes, green beans and corn. Here in Washington I was lucky to get a few green beans a couple of years, others no beans at all. Rhubarb, however, was prolific. :-)
I may try a small garden again at the new place but the yard is landscaped and I'm not sure there is a good area to plant. I'll have to check it out when I get there. Maybe some containers are the way to go. I would really like fresh lettuce and green beans.
Take care and have a great week my dear friend.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice finish on the Sampler! Yes we will garden...in two styrofoam coolers for lettuce and the sheep tank will be carrots and tomatoes! WE will put a deer fence around the sheep tank. Lettuce is so easy to grow and we enjoy it all summer:)

Breathing Life said...

My gardening is usually just some herbs and patio tomatoes. And all my cactuses go outside for the summer. There are so many cedar trees on my property that the soil is very acidic. I also like to have some flowering plants like mimulus and fuschias, geraniums and pansies and primulas. Wow, now that I write it all out I do grow quite a few things.

Maureen D said...

Your striped socks are adorable and I'm loving that rainbow giant granny blanket. Best wishes on your garden. We never have much luck and I can't even compost correctly. I swore after failing again for the 3rd time with my tumbler composter that I'd quit. We have too many oak leaves which take forever to decompose.

HighlandHeffalump said...

Sounds like a productive week again, your sampler looks lovely and that's good to see what goes on behind so if I make one I can frame it myself. Cute progress keeper! I hope you manage to have gardening success with these new tips you've picked up. Fingers crossed. I planted some seeds yesterday and have answered your question on my blog but I think I even forgot to mention some of them. I'm a bit worried about my holiday in May and everything dying so need to ask a neighbour. We usually go away in March and October so I'm here for the garden.

HighlandHeffalump said...

I think this anonymous is Alissa from Headknits x

Rain said...

Hi Sam :) I love the socks! They look great! And good for you for continuing to try to garden! As you know, mine was a complete flop last year and I'm scaling down to a few containers of herbs and lettuces...MAYBE a few tomatoes. I did plant asparagus last year so I'll have to see if they grow...and I just remembered I planted garlic in the fall! I'm thankful for that! :) But otherwise, I'm just going to wait until I can properly landscape my backyard for gardening! I wish you lots of luck!

Lucy Bowen said...

What a week! I love the socks and blanket. And your sampler looks perfect in it's frame. Your gardening adventures sound great and very exciting about the phone!!

felisha green said...


This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

-Phone hacks (remotely)
-Credit repair
-Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
-Make money from home (USA only)
-Social media hacks
-Website hacks
-Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
-Grade change

Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com