Sunday, November 7, 2021

YOP Week #19


 I have 2 finishes this week!  I even surprised myself!  There was a suggestion, by someone awhile back, that you should take your WIPs and put each in a lunch bag, staple them closed and mix them up and put numbers on them (or not).....then you pick one and work on it until finished and so on and so forth.  The concept sounded good to me but I didn't follow through.  Presently though, I am trying to organize my crafts and supplies.  There are many "bags" of projects.  I always have a cross stitch project going or several in a rotation.  I needed a crochet project so I am starting a regular granny square blanket to continue to go through my acrylic worsted stash.  I needed a knitting WIP so, I picked a project bag that I thought was socks but it was mittens!  I had totally forgotten about them!  One was done and the other one just need the thumb.  I was able to pick them back up and finish them even weaving in all the ends! This is my first pair of mittens.  I think I tried once before but the pattern wasn't detailed enough for my first pair so I found another pattern and it worked great.  Here they are!  Another use for my acrylic stash.  I thought I would give them to my daughter as one of her advent gifts but then I didn't think she would really go for the colors as she is an orange girl.  I did make these for myself originally so I will order her Knitpicks orange Donegal Tweed and  enough for a matching hat. Plus, I need to order a shorter pair of DPNs as the ones I used were a bit long and fiddly. I've never given my daughter wool items before so I will get her some scented wool soak for washing them too.  It will count as 3 Advent gifts!  Only 22 left to go!  Now I need to go dig up another knitting "mystery bag WIP" without looking inside of it first, of course.

I also finished the Give Thanks cross stitch which will probably get made into a little pillow..........it was a free pattern but I can't remember the designer.  I used some 14 count Aida that I hand dyed.....

I found my other Fall xs that I had started.........Autumn Alphabet by The Scarlett House.......

I had started the granny square blanket with DK yarn but realized I wanted to use my acrylic stash again and a larger hook so I will be gathering up the yarns and hook today.  I will be following Patchwork Hearts method of assembly line crocheting where you make all the centers and then the next round etc. on all of the squares.  I need to calculate how many squares to make and then choose my colors and get started!

 Last week, Alissa Head (another YOPer) posted a gorgeous cowl that she made called Cemetery Drive....I loved it and knew my daughter would especially!  She had even asked if some of her Advent gifts this year could be Halloween related.  She will love this cowl!  Unfortunately, I have not done color work before except in crochet but I've been wanting to give it a go so now's the perfect time.  Thank you Alissa for sharing your beautiful cowl.  Alissa's cowl was in black and orange which I will be doing also since my daughter loves orange.  The yarn is already ordered!  This a a paid for pattern and the reviews were great.

 

As for treasures......I only received one this week...........a pattern for a summer quilt.........material is so expensive that it will take me time to gather it all anyway......

This week we have a had a frost almost every night.  I was able to gather the last of the veggies.............
but there were some baby eggplant and squash that definitely weren't going to get a chance to mature.  It's always sad to say goodbye but my water bill will decrease at least.
 
The hummers left around the 10th of October so I have replaced their feeder with one for the birds and filled it with seed and suet..............it didn't take them anytime at all to find it! LOL!  As you can see in the window reflection we still have color here.  There is still a lot of green and although some leaves have fallen there are lots more to fall.  It's been a strange Fall and very slow for the leaves but early for the frost.....

I hope you had a great week and have wonderful plans for the week ahead.  There is no football for me this weekend.....the Iowa Hawkeyes beat Northwestern yesterday but the game wasn't until 6 p.m. and I have to sit by my PC to listen to it.....the Bear's play Monday night which again will be too late for me to listen to it.  I am reclined by then in my bed watching t.v.! LOL!

Happy Trails!!!

  





9 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Congratulations on the two FO's this week. Doesn't it feel good to get those done and out of the WIP pile? Your idea of putting the projects in a bag and stapling it closed is a great thought. It would be like a gift each time you opened one up. Your cross stitching is so nice. I love seeing them each week. Good luck on the granny square blanket. It is a great stash busting project, for sure. The more colors the better too. I like to make the squares but dislike joining all the squares together. Your bird feeder is a hit with all your neighborhood birds. The cardinal in it is so pretty. It is one of the birds we never get here where I live. Have a great week.

Miss Merry said...

Love the mittens! That Halloween cowl is amazing! I can't wait to see your progress. I think the gift exchange with your daughter is just so much fun!!!

Jen said...

Congrats on your finishes! That Halloween cowl looks neat. I look forward to seeing it in black and orange. I think the design will really pop.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maureen D said...

I love that cowl as well. It will be perfect for your daughter. It's also a good first colorwork project. I love the idea of including other holidays in the advent calendar. Does one really need 24 Christmas items?? Your mittens turned out great and will be fun to wear this Christmas season. I love the project bag idea, especially if one does multiple crafts like you do.

Jeanna said...

Love the mittens and your finished cross stitch. The halloween cowl is going to be a fun stitch and I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great looking mittens! Getting to finish something is a great feeling! Enjoy your cooler weather!

Breathing Life said...

I love your updates - So many wips - and what fun to start completing them and the surprises each bag carries within it. Our hummingbirds stay all year round and for that I am so grateful. I LOVE that cemetary cowl - I think it will have to go into my queue for next Halloween trick or treat event!

HighlandHeffalump said...

That's so lovely that you continue to make such thoughtful gifts for your daughter and I'm sure she will love the Cemetry Drive cowl. I've seen 3 bloggers make them and they've all looked great and at least with a cowl the colourwork will be a little easier as if it is a little tight or a little loose it won't be so obvious, so it is a great project for trying it. Fun mittens.