Sunday, November 14, 2021

YOP Week #20


 What a great week this has been....progress in all areas.   Now, if I could just keep it up.

Remember last week when I said I was just grabbing a bag out of my crap crafts room and finishing it whatever it was?  Well, the first bag I grabbed was the Tiramisu baby blanket by Alicia Paulson.  The yarn was there and the pattern.  On closer inspection, I had not nearly enough yarn.  I was using some yarn I had and had used the yardage of one skein instead of multiplying it by the number of skeins....duh!  It would take lots more yarn and since I really don't need a baby blanket and it had not been started....I canceled that one.  It wasn't really a WIP anyway.  So, the next bag proved very fruitful as it was my Multnomah shawl from years ago.  I had started this shawl over many times.  Hopefully this time I will finish it!  Last time I got all the way to the Fan and Feather border and had no idea what I was doing so I found a Fan and Feather dishcloth and I did that with no problem but then I didn't go back to the shawl.  I'll have to do another dishcloth when I get to that section.  Here's my progress so far..........the yarn is Malibrigo fingering weight in the color Dachshund...this was when my little Annie girl (miniature dachshund) was still alive.....


  As for what I worked on this past week, in addition to the Multnomah, there is my Fall cross stitch.........

Well............I did join the Winter Wonderland CAL and although I had a rough start, it seems to be going fine now (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)  I learned to place markers every 20 stitches to keep track because the total number of stitches at the end of each row must be exact.  The pattern photo is black because I ran out of colored ink but it is a combination of 2 different greens and a cream.  You can make it any colors you want.  I am doing red, green and cream.  This is mosaic crochet which I have never done but so far it is not difficult and the designer gives you lots of photos and excellent instructions plus there is a FB group for the CAL which helped me a lot when I started out. The pattern for Winter Wonderland is on Ravelry and it is half price during the CAL..........

That's all for this week except...........my yarns came in for the Christmas knitting!  This will be cast on  this afternoon!  This is the yarn for the Cemetery Drive cowl (pattern on Ravelry)  Stroll fingering weight yarn from Knitpicks

This yarn is from Hobbi in Denmark as I was looking for an orange tweed and they had the perfect one!  I ordered from them a few days after I ordered from Knitpicks and they arrived the same day!  The yarn is lovely and it wasn't too pricey either.  They gave a me a free needle for weaving in ends and a piece of candy....I love those little touches and I will be ordering from them again!

This tweed yarn will be for a hat and either mitts or mittens to match.........probably mitts as my daughter has "bus duty" helping get the kids onto their buses and it is cold up North!  I think the mitts will be the best option for her.  I printed off 3 free patterns with tutorials from Tin Can Knits...at least I think they were free  You can also email them with any questions you might have.  This will be my first time trying them.  They have lots of patterns and all their patterns have sizes from baby to Adult and every size in between.............

Here's the last of our beautiful Fall here....we are on the other side of "peak colors" now but it was and still is pretty.  There are still lots of leaves on the trees so...I like to stretch it out as long as I can.  This weekend has been chilly but this next week will be in the high 60's low 70's so I need to finish up painting and hopefully get some windows washed.........


 These are the woods behind my house...........

Besides my cast ons this week there is also the Thanksgiving (here in the U.S.) menu and grocery list!  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!  I make all the recipes I remember from my childhood that were cooked by all my relatives who are no longer here.  I hope when they smell those smells they will come and sit with me at the Thanksgiving table.  

I hope you had a good week and have plans for a great one coming up!  

Happy Trails!!!






13 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have a good start on the Winter Wonderland CAL! I think you will like mosaic crochet! I am anxious to start on mine! You still have pretty leaves! Have a great week! Love that tweed yarn!

Maureen D said...

Looks like our climates are similar. We too still have a few trees with colorful leaves but sadly most of the trees are now in their winter bare. So I'm definitely ready to head to warmer climate now that the colors are gone and the perpetual grey has arrived. Looks like some beautiful yarns arrived. Love your Christmas colorwork cowl. Lots of fun ahead.

Betsy said...

You have so much going on Sam! Your multnomah is looking great and I really like your new tweed yarn from Hobbi. I've been seeing a lot of ads for them recently and have thought about ordering from them. That is fast shipping, although Knit Picks seems to get slower every time I order from them.
We had snow flurries and "feels like" temperature of 9F on Friday here. Mandy called and said Piper has a mitten emergency! The mittens I made for her last year are WAY too small. They go halfway up her palm. So I'll set my baby blanket aside this week and work on the mittens for her since we're supposed to have another cold spell later in the week.
Take care my dear friend and enjoy planning your Thanksgiving. We're supposed to have 20-22 people here this year from both sides of our families.
Blessings,
Betsy

Miss Merry said...

We had a nice fall at the beginning of the week, but today - SNOW! Enough the salt trucks were out on our way home from our daughters. I love the crap room/craft room! I spent all day yesterday clearing out my crap room - basically moving it all out - even the closets so I can sort and discover what the heck is even in there. It had gotten that bad. I found a lot of things like your baby blanket - things I can get rid of! Don't worry, I still have enough projects for the next 100 years.

Breathing Life said...

Well if I lived closer I would certainly show up for Thanksgiving dinner. (and then you could tell me more about how my novel has taken a chapter out of your life). I am off now to check out that CAL - it sounds right up my alley.

HighlandHeffalump said...

I have answered your questions you posted on my blog, I knew I wouldn’t remember them all to answer them here. I have bought cotton yarns from Hobbii and they seemed very reasonable and I’ve been happy so far with them. Your winter wonderland project looks an incredible pattern so I’m looking forward to seeing that grow over the coming weeks. I enjoyed doing mosaic crochet, adds such interest without being difficult. Sounds a good plan to have dropped the baby blanket in favour of the shawl.

Susan said...

I love Hobbi yarns! I'm trying to use my stash, but it's so tempting, with all of the lovely new yarns that are out there. I like your idea of grabbing a project and finishing it. Can't wait to see your Thanksgiving dinner (wish I was there...)

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Oh, we are definitely in the same boat!

Anne P said...

That looks like a really fun CAL and so perfect for the season. Bet it feels good to pull out some WIPs and make some progress (even if the progress is to frog what you've started and use the yarn elsewhere). :)

Cinna Knits said...

I used the "world's simplest mittens" pattern to teach a class a few years ago, and it worked out great! All my students finished at least one mitten, and we got to see why gauge was SO important!

I have a Multnomah that I've been wearing since spring of 2010! I made mine as part of a KAL with my knitting group at the time, and since I used a yarn with lesser yardage, I made mine "mini".

Jeanna said...

You have a variety of crafty goodness here! I don't how you get so much accomplished!

Leftycrafter said...

The Multnomah shawl was my first knitted shawl. It is a great pattern and was quite a learning experience for me too. Mosaic crochet is so awesome. Once you get into the pattern a ways, it becomes much easier. I just had to keep markers at the beginning stitch and the end stitch to prevent me from either stopping too soon or starting too early. Your fall colors are so pretty. We saw some gorgeous cottonwood trees on our way home from Vegas yesterday. Fall has arrived in the higher elevations of Arizona.

Lucy Bowen said...

Your winter wonderland cal looks great and I love Christmassy colours!