Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Treasures, ice storm and minestrone soup

 Well, yesterday was a busy Monday per usual.  Garbages needed to get emptied, re-lined and the big one out to the street.  They were predicting an ice storm this week so I called my prescriptions in and got them filled.  I made minestrone soup.  This is definitely soup weather and it is cold down here!  This is before it got cooked...........

I got treasures in the mail too!  These are my "light" fabrics I ordered for the Mystery Quilt and they got here fast from a lady in Vincent, Iowa.  She has a brick and mortar store also besides being on Etsy.

She also sent a free quilt pattern..............

I got my glass head pins for quilting that Kathleen Tracy recommended.  I needed some good pins as mine are old, dull, and many are bent.

The greatest treasure of all was my Frivol kit from Moda!  There are many of them but they are no longer made........I got #8 which is by Sandy Koop (fabric designer) and her American Jane fabric....

You get a quilt pattern, the fabric, the tin it comes in and another extra which in mine was another little tin which I think I will put my new pins in...........L O V E !!!

It was also sock washing day for my hand knitted socks.  I was washing them in the machine but they were getting pretty scruffed up so I decided to go back to hand washing with the wool soap.

Too many hours of knitting go into them to not take good care of them.

I used my new robotic vacuum today in the kitchen and it worked really well.  Tomorrow I'll try the mop feature.  

I bought a book today for my Kindle that Mrs.Darcy recommended and it seemed like a perfect book for me at this time..........I've not cared for where I am  very much (the South) and I definitely don't like the house I am living in.  (Forgive me Lord as I know I am blessed beyond belief.)  So, sometimes books appear just when you need them and I think maybe this one is just such a book!

I'll let you know!  Meanwhile, we have an ice storm warning!  Oh no!  I still haven't recovered from the one back in 2010!  No heat or electric for over a week.  I have a fireplace but I discovered the guy had sold me green wood which only smoked.  This time, I am set with plenty of good wood, food and I picked up my prescriptions yesterday.  They are saying it will start tonight and go through Thursday and there will be power outages and they are telling everyone to stay home and off the roads.  Around here you don't just go into a ditch...you go off the side of a mountain! LOL! I pray everyone is safe and warm and dry and has plenty to eat!

Happy Trails!!!









21 comments:

Cousin Kay said...

Stay safe and hope you don't lose power.

Miss Merry said...

Please stay safe and stay home! Ice storms are no fun. I am glad you are prepared. The power went out one town over for the super bowl. I dont' know what happened but the whole town lost power during the pregame and it didn't come back until an hour after the game. It was pretty cold, but luckily the people I knew were wrapping up with blankets and stayed good.

That soup looks delicious!

Becki said...

I hope you're staying safe and warm, Sam. What a great kit that Frivol one is. Looking forward to your new creations with all your new fabrics. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Take care Sam lets us know how you are when you are able to! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Leftycrafter said...

I hope the ice storm doesn't knock out your electricity. You treasures from the mail are lovely as usual. Your minestrone soup looks wonderful. Very warming and comforting.

Betsy said...

I love all of your goodies. I need some new pins too as I think mine are still from Home Ec at least 45 years ago! They are bent and dull too. I got my dress fabric last week from Good's. I really, really like the way the dresses wash and wear well. I bought enough for 8 dresses as they were having a great sale. Today I washed all of the fabric for my summer dresses and tomorrow I hope to cut out the pieces. See, I have confidence this cold will leave and summer will come!
I'm going to check out that book too. I'm so looking forward to moving to Omaha, but I did NOT want another split level home. The third one we've owned and the only floor plan I really don't like. I need to come to terms with it because I think it's the last house I'll have and like you said, I am blessed beyond belief to even have a home as nice as it is and in the perfect location. I'm looking forward to decorating it almost from scratch!
Take care and stay safe. Please let us know how you're doing if you can.
Blessings and warm hugs,
Betsy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yikes! Hope the storm won't be as bad as predicted. Definitely scary to be slipping and sliding around out there but some people, no matter the weather (or pandemic) just can't make themselves stay at home. You've got plenty to keep you busy. Minestrone soup and some good ol' homemade bread sure sounds good right now. Take care.

Unknown said...

THE BEST FLIPPING BLOG EVA

Unknown said...

this is the best blog ever the Mindstorm soup looks really good p so do the gingersnap cookies. And I think those clothes look pretty.I hope the storm is half less Badness than its supposed to be.

Jeanna said...

Hope you are safe and well. Being from the deep south and living even further south than that, I don't think I could survive the cold that everyone north of us is getting. I guess this is 'where I belong' even though I think I would love more of a change in the seasons.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

It went South of me so never lost power PTL. It is a skating rink out there. I have Yak Traks that I put on to go to the mailbox. I'm not sure how the mail people are delivering the mail as there is no salting or sanding that I know of.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Dodged a bullet! No loss of power!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I am excited to work on all my projects. I just wish the housework would stop nagging me!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

No power loss so warm and toasty! I hope you are now too.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

We never lost power, PTL!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Betsy, do not buy any pins! I had to buy 2 packs so I will send you one. I only needed 1 pack of 100 pins.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I never have a problem staying home. But I know there are some people who don't have a choice and/or who need the paycheck. I always pray for their safety.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Grayson

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I wish you were here and then I could share the cookies with you and the soup!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I know. I want to move back North but then I wonder if I could take the cold anymore? I must admit it was no fun standing out in a blizzard trying to fill the gas tank and also trying to push a grocery cart through a snow filled parking lot! LOL!

felisha green said...


This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

-Phone hacks (remotely)
-Credit repair
-Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
-Make money from home (USA only)
-Social media hacks
-Website hacks
-Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
-Grade change

Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com