Sunday, August 22, 2021

YOP Week #8

 

Well, I finally finished the Giant Granny Square blanket #3....I'm done for awhile.  The only problem with this one was the border curled on me and I think it was the yarn.  It didn't happen on the one before.   These sure are enjoyable to make and perfect for watching t.v. 

I worked on the sheep pillow but it is slow and boring especially in just a solid color.  I have about 3 inches of the 16 inches I need.  I have a mistake that I didn't notice until about 4 or 5 rows up and I'm not going back.  I think I either  purled when I was supposed to knit or vice-versa but it's not unraveling but it is noticeable.  I think I can repair it on one side and the "shaggy" part of the sheep should cover it.

 I worked on the Star cross stitch but I realized I did not have all the floss colors needed and now I'm stuck.  So, I need to order floss and dig out my Fall XS WIPs.

I did find a wool hooking project from long ago that never got finished.   It needs trimming and final finishing into a pillow.  I think it says welcome friends but hopefully it will show up better after trimming. 

I also unearthed a blanket project that never got finished.  I need to find the instructions.  I think it is a Cherry Heart pattern that was a crochet along that some of us participated in.  Far Side of Fifty maybe or Marsha?  Or maybe it was Victorian Lace?  I'll have to do some digging! LOL! 

If you remember me telling you about the injured orphaned fawn....well, all's well that ends well.....he or she was joyfully reunited with it's mother yesterday after 2 days!  I think the fawn injured it's leg and when the mother got frightened and ran the baby couldn't keep  up with it's injured leg.  It's still limping but they are together again!   They were in my back yard..."grazing". 


As for other news.  Yesterday I finished up making my chicken stock and I found out some interesting information.  I made 2 chicken stocks; one was a raw carcass that I made in the crock pot, same ingredients but it cooked on low for 18 hours.  The other was a cooked carcass that I cooked on the stove for about 5 hours.  Here are the results...........the light colored broth is from the stove top method for 5 hours..........the dark brown broth is from the crock pot after 18 hours.....it's not burned but it is definitely bone broth and there was more of it too.  All together I got 14 cups of broth from 2 carcasses!  It was easy and so worth it!

Oh, here's a picture of "Buddy", the little hummer boy (no, not drummer boy, lol!) that sits on the hanger above the feeder and guards it from hummers that don't belong to his "tribe".  I know it's a boy because only the male hummers guard the feeders.  I was changing the feeder with fresh syrup so he went and sat on the clothesline until I was done....what a cutie!
This coming week I hope to find the instructions for the crochet blanket squares I have and see what I have left to finish on that project.  I'd like to finish the wool hooked heart, finish cutting out my quilt squares and also  the material for the Celeste Creates QAL.  Of course, I need to keep knitting on the sheep.   I need to find my project bag materials and the Fall/Halloween XS WIPs.

As for other projects,  today I need to make a menu, grocery list and order groceries for tomorrow, and I have a project involving refinishing/painting my floor grates and installing filters in them.  There's still more grout cleaning to do too..  Busy week and a hot one too....90's F all week long!

I hope you are staying cool or warm depending on where you are in the world.  I pray all the children stay safe on their way back to school and that everyone gets out of Afghanistan that needs to get out.

My daughter's a teacher in Iowa and they start back tomorrow along with my grands.  Grayson is too young to be vaccinated so I pray he and all the other little ones that can't get vaccinated remain safe and healthy.

Happy Trails!!!

 





17 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I think it is so great that you are going to work on some UFO's. I have a closet full. One of my children asked me today what I was going to do once all the grands are old enough for school. They have no idea. There are not enough decades left to finish all my projects!

That bone broth looks so good. I think I will make broth in my crock pot from now on!

Betsy said...

What all did you put in the crock pot with the raw carcass? Any vegetables or just the chicken and water?
I enjoyed seeing all of your projects and hearing about your planned ones. I need to start planning my Christmas lists. I seem to have lost my mojo. All I want to do is knit baby hats for the hospital.
Piper started school last week and already several schools have stopped in person learning because of virus spread. She is too young to be vaccinated too and one of just a small handful in her class wearing masks. Mandy, as a nurse is really concerned. She deals with all of this and knows the risks.
I'll be praying for Grayson. Will you pray for Piper and all of the children?
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

HighlandHeffalump said...

Sounds like that heat must be unbearable, eek way too hot for me to get anything done. We buy frozen beef or lamb bone broth for my dog, the smell is really hard for me to cope with once we defrost the little ice cube each meal time. I don’t think I could cope with any cooking in the house, but it sounds pretty easy to do. If it is just one stitch that is wrong then it is pretty easy with a crochet hook to just go down one stitch at a time creating a ladder and then using the crochet hook to either knit or purl the ladder back up the right way. YouTube will have some videos on it. But sounds like you will be easily able to hide it.

Between Me and You said...

Your crochet squares look like the Vintage Sampler Blanket from Cherry Heart. I've never thought of storing stock in bags that way. Thanks for the tip!My Grands started back at school last week. The youngest (7) and her classmates don't wear masks, obviously but the eldest (12) has to sit in class all day and wear a mask, while being socially distanced taught by the teachers. I pick them up from school one day a week and I try and put the worry of mixing with them on the backburner and bring the joy of seeing them to the forefront. Somebody, somewhere has to have an answer to this global problem.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Add a search box on the right side of your blog and you can do a search...I know I have seen the squares before...but not one of my projects although I have admired your squares! Stay cool! Hope you have lots of time to craft!!

Leftycrafter said...

The squares you are asking about are the Victorian Lace squares. If you need the pattern again I do believe it is free on Ravelry. I also have it and could email it to you.

I do love your giant granny square blankets. I can't believe you have done 3 already. Boo on needing more floss again for the star xs. Yea for finding long lost projects and getting them finished up.

So glad the baby deer found mom and they are together again. Have a great week.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I added salt. pepper. carrots. celery and onion. Yep, I've been praying for all of them!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I'm familiar with the crochet hook and ladder technique but this is not a dropped stitch....I wish...it would be easier! Thanks anyway!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Great idea! LOL! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you! You are one smart cookie!

Rain said...

Your blanket looks great Sam! I love that you made bone broth. I did a similar test a few years back and yes, the longer the better!!! Nice to hear about the fawn too! :)

Anne P said...

Lots to do on your list - congrats on getting the blanket finished up. It's really nice! Thanks for all the peeks into your life this week. I'm a big fan of homemade broth but I like it via the crockpot method best.

D'Nali said...

Lovely projects all but that granny blanket, AH-MAZING!!!!! It's going to be an heirloom.

Cinna Knits said...

Deer are surprisingly resilient! My mom has a doe that lives in her yard that had 2 broken legs a handful of summers ago. She called the game warden about what to do, and he told her nothing. They'll heal without intervention and the breaks will not interfere with them foraging.

Don't worry about the little error on the sheep, your grandson will never notice!

Breathing Life said...

Good news about the fawn recovery. I love your little hummer picture. We have Anna's hummingbirds here. Do you know what kind he is? He looks like a black-chinned hummingbird. They certainly are territorial, and bossy when the feeder gets empty. I can't imagine you not having the correct colour floss! lol. Your broth looks so yummy. We never make it to use in the future, but instead make chicken soup and enjoy it for a couple of days. I am sure the little sheep error will be covered with the shaggy bits, and if not, just tell your grandson it is a unique design element from a unique grandma!

Becki said...

Your granny square blanket is beautiful! You chose your colors well. I remember those pretty squares, but I'm no help on the pattern. And how nice that the fawn and its mother are reunited again. How nice that you can enjoy them in your yard! Do they leave your garden alone? :)

Debi Mitchell said...

My name is Debi Mitchell! I'm here to testify about Mr Larry Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines all over the world. I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 24,000 dollars. You can withdrawal up to $1,200 per day. You can also use it to shop online and attach it to your PayPal account. The card is already been hack, loaded and programmed with fund. If you want to get one for yourself, contact him via his email: (Larrypatrick_k@aol.com) Do not miss this great opportunity.

Unknown said...

RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $200,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via WhatsApp Number +12156195367 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

* Personal loans * Business loans
* Home loans * Farm Loans
* Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
* Truck Loans * Car Loans
* Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
* Venture capital and many more.

We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

Best Regards
Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
Financial Advisor on Bank Instruments,
Private Banking and Client Services
Email: Address: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com
WhatsApp Number +12156195367
Operation: We provide Financial Service Such As Bank Instrument
From AA Rate Banks, Cash Loan,BG,SBLC,BOND,PPP,MTN,TRADING,FUNDING MONETIZING etc.