Thursday, June 2, 2022

Once more with feeling!

 This will be a short post but I will be back soon.  I was sick with that terrible pain again on Memorial Day.  I just slept most of the day and the next morning my neighbor took me to the ER in Salem which is about 10 miles away.  It's a small hospital but they have a helicopter pad!  Anyway, I saw this wonderful doctor who without even touching me and just listening to me describe my symptoms knew exactly what I had!  They did blood work, urinalysis, bp, oxygen level...the whole works.  But before he even got the results he was sure I had diverticulosis.  He was so sharp and explained what it was and what causes it.  He suggested strongly that I have a colonoscopy......we'll see about that.  He was fabulous, is taking new  patients and is right next to the hospital!  Sign me up!  I've been to my doctor in Mountain Home  twice with this same complaint.  This doctor said that's why you  have "attacks" depending on what you eat....seeds, nuts, and skins are the worst things to aggravate it.  He gave me 2 shots; one for pain, and one for the infection and a prescription for an antibiotic to be taken for 10 days.  Also, diet suggestions on what to avoid and what I can safely eat.  I came home and slept for 4 hours.  The pain had lessened and I got some rest.  I still have twinges but now it feels more like a pulled muscle.  I am eating chicken noodle soup, cottage cheese and canned fruit and yogurt.  Tonight it will be fish and rice.  I'm being very careful.

Everything happens for a reason and I just found the perfect doctor for me and I won't have to drive an hour and 1/2!  PTL!  I will be back but I am taking things slow around here....even slower than usual...lol!  I hope you are all fine and I will catch up soon.

Happy Trails!!!

9 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Oh Sam. I am so glad you finally got an explanation as to what is going on. So this has nothing to do with kidney "sand". Please take care of yourself. Diverticulosis/Diverticulitis is not something to take lightly. It can cause major issues if not handled properly. But, on a happy note, you now have a Dr much closer to your home.

Far Side of Fifty said...

High Fiber and lots and lots of water! Glad you found a new good doctor!! Hope you feel better soon!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My Dad had problems with that and it is very painful I remember! I hope you can get some rest and the pain will subside. Take care! hugs, Diane

Betsy said...

I also remember my Dad's episodes of diverticulitis. It wasn't pleasant at all. I'm glad you finally got the correct diagnosis and can begin feeling better. Also happy that you really like the doctor. Take care of yourself Sam. Thank goodness for a good neighbor!
Blessings,
Betsy

Between Me and You said...

Sorry to hear about your health troubles but thank goodness for your kind neighbour and an expert doctor. Diverticulitis comes under the umbrella of 'Inflammatory Bowel Disease'. It's manageable with the right care and you don't need a bland diet but anything high in fibre would best be avoided, especially the seeds and nuts. For me highly spiced food (curry) is off the menu and it's been a process of elimination with the foods (and drinks, especially the fizzy kind) which should be avoided. I would recommend a colonoscopy (as far as you can recommend a colonoscopy!) just to eliminate anything sinister going on but your doctor sounds like he's on the ball. Let him look after you.

Jeanna said...

You have my sympathy. I've had two very bad episodes with diverticulosis. While I was suffering with the inflammation, diverticulitis, I ate a soft diet. Once healed, I transitioned to a high fiber diet and continue to eat one to avoid another flare up. I hope you are feeling much better and completely heal soon.

Grammy Braxton said...

I'm so glad you've finally got a diagnosis and heading toward getting better. I understand not wanting to have a colonoscopy; they're not fun but they are a great diagnostic tool and the doctor could see what exactly is going on. But, you have to make that decision. Keep getting better. Sending you lots of hugs. ❤

Miss Merry said...

Sam, I am so sorry this happened again! You poor thing. Thank goodness your neighbor was able to take you to the ER and more than thankful that the doctor was put there in place for you! I am so glad you finally have an answer and a plan. I think taking it easy is the way to go!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you are doing okay Sam...thinking about you!