Sunday, January 16, 2022

YOP Week #29 Year #11


 I'm not off to a very good start on my desire to blog every day in 2022.....evidently I just can't manage it.  This week was especially busy and tiring.  The pest control guy was here, then I had to pick up prescriptions, and I did a grocery order and pickup, and then I went to Mountain Home which is 1 1/2 hours away for blood work, and to take a Tahoe full of stuff to the Salvation Army.  Usually,  I try to space things out but  this past week everything seemed to happen at once.  Plus, going into the "big city" (compared to my little hamlet) was nerve racking knowing how the omicron variant is surging here in Arkansas.   So far, no signs of illness.  I have been vaccinated and boosted and I wore an N-95 mask so hopefully I'll be okay.  I have known people though that have gotten it even still and been very sick.  Plus, there seem to be long-term effects even if you survive so I do not want to get it at all.  So, I was exhausted this week but hopefully this next week I will be home and get lots done!

I did manage to organize my cross stitch WIPs and there are a lot of them!  I won't tell you how many but suffice it to say.....I hope I live that long to finish them all! LOL!  I separated them into categories of seasonal, Christmas, patriotic, Halloween, and miscellaneous.  My rotation of XS projects will be: on the 1st of the month my New Year's start, 4th my birthday start,  13th and the 31st will be Halloween , and the 24th and the 25th will be Christmas.  The other days will be filled in with other XS projects; there will be a focus (large piece) and smalls plus both the Halloween and Christmas annual ornaments for the grands.  There will also be Saturday Blackbird stitch, Sabbath Sunday stitch, a red work piece and/or an alphabet sampler and anything else I might have to squeeze in.  That's it for cross stitch and each week I will show you what I have worked on that week.  That way it won't get boring for either one of us.

As for my YOP goals this past year, and even before that,  I am going with an old queuing  theory  that I learned while in college for computer science.  There are more than these 2 but these are the ones that I remember.....it was a long, long time ago! LOL!  There's FIFO and LIFO.....FIFO is first in first out and LIFO is last in first out.  I'll be using LIFO as I cannot recall nor can I find some of those really past projects.  I'm going to be organizing and cleaning my craft's room and hopefully they will all turn up at that time but for now...LIFO works for me. 

The areas of my projects (all WIPs) are as follows although I will not be working in all these areas simultaneously.

 Cross Stitch (which is on a different schedule as outlined above)

Crochet - washcloth finished this week so next is Wintertime Blanket

Sewing - project bag

Quilting -Christmas quilt

Knitting - Multnomah shawl

Punch Needle - Halloween by Teresa Kogut

Rug hooking - crocheted rag rug

Miscellaneous Crafts - Christmas card basket

These are all WIP's and I will stick with these until they are done.  I may at times throw in something mindless that I can work on while watching t.v.  but other than that I am going to be very strict with myself!

Here's this week's finish which I cannot promise will happen every week but I will show what I have worked on.  I will hopefully get Ravelry updated so that yarns and patterns will be published on my project page.  This was crocheted using Peaches and Creme cotton worsted.  It was very hard on my hands but it is a good size and I learned a new stitch; the crossed double crochet which makes good bumps in the cloth for scrubbing.  I have arthritis so it might not bother your hands.

The fabric for my Sabbath stitch arrived so I got started on it so I could show you.  I think it's going to be a beauty when it's done........it's one strand of a Caron skein of a variegated special yarn and I'm working it on 14 count Aida.  There are only 2 colors throughout.  There's a green for the leaves but the letters are all in the variegated red.

I work on my birthday start on the 4th of each month........Ida Mae Crow.  I had to change some colors because the called for colors didn't look anything like the photo and I preferred the colors in the photo

The other XS I put some time into was my Winter stitch....Stu the Snowman..........

This coming week I hope to work on some Valentine smalls and dig up my St. Patrick's Day smalls. Today, I want to get my quilt backing and batting cut, sew a project bag and drag out my Multnomah to work on this coming week.  Wish me luck!

I did get a few items in the mail and I have a bunch of zippers coming for future project bags.  I got this book from Thrift books...I use the old black and white composition books for my planner(s) and I would like to make a nice colorful cover for it.

I also got some fusible fleece for the project bags........

and last but not least Temecula Quilt Co.  Mini a Month Postcard Collection for 2022...........the patterns are on the back of the postcards...too cute!

I  have more to tell you but it can wait until tomorrow but I must leave you with some pictures of the SNOW we got~!  Yes, we got snow starting yesterday afternoon and it was so pretty coming down.  It was still snowing when it was getting dark.  They said 4-8 inches but it looked more like 2" to me.  I'll take it though!

This was during the snow storm...........

This was this morning.........


I'm sorry I was so long winded today.....I hope you didn't fall asleep! LOL!  I hope you have a great week ahead  of you!

Happy Trails!!!

11 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I was wondering if you got some snow! Sure looks beautiful! Hope you are safe and warm inside with your stitching today! Hugs!

Cinna Knits said...

Your snow is BEAUTIFUL!! We are scheduled to get some in Maryland some time in the next 24 hours. I hope we get some to cover all the mud.

I have a Multnomah (mini) shawl that I made in 2010- I love it and still frequently wear it (pinned like a scarf). I'm excited to see yours!

And FYI- I made audible noises when I saw your beautiful cross stitch pieces! Your Sabbath piece is going to be stunning! The thread coloration is truly divine and the crow stitch is DARLING!

Cousin Kay said...

Love Ida Mae Crow!

Miss Merry said...

I really need to dump out my craft closet and sort my UFO's to your system! You are inspiring!!!

Leftycrafter said...

You plan for working on all your WIP's is inspiring. You have so many pretty cross stitch pieces going and I just love seeing them as they progress. Your snow is gorgeous. I miss seeing it but don't miss shoveling it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You got snow! Sounds like you have a plan! :)

Maureen D said...

Your snow pictures are beautiful but I'm glad to enjoy the pictures while sitting here in warm sunny Florida weather. You definitely do LOTS of cross stitch. They are always so fun to see. Best wishes with your LIFO crafting!

Betsy said...

My goodness you are busy Sam. I like how you have everything organized and the projects you showed us too. I think my favorite is the Stu Snowman. :-) I've made several Multnomah shawls and love them all. One of them that I made was requested by my niece in black sparkly yarn. She was married at Halloween and the colors were orange and black! She wore the shawl with her wedding dress.
Peaches & Cream cotton really hurts my hands too. I love Hobby Lobby's cotton though and can knit/crochet with it all day with no problems. It's much softer. Knit Picks dishie is soft too, but I have had problems with the colors bleeding terribly.
You're never too long winded. I always enjoy reading about your weeks.
I'm planning to stay in all week too if possible. Dennis flew to Spokane today for several days and covid is awful around here. We know a man who was put on the ventilator for the third time this morning. Only in his early 40's and has been in the hospital for weeks. So many entire families have had it at church. This stuff is positively scary. You take good care of yourself my friend.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Breathing Life said...

I love your posts, and I am so impressed with your organizational skills and how you plan which project to work on which day. I am like you - boosted and N95 masked but still not wanting to catch this damn virus. I LOVE your snowy pictures. Take care, dear Sam, and keep posting your long posts - they are a delight!

Lucy Bowen said...

As always you have worked on so much and it is all gorgeous 😍. In addition to having a really busy week! I love your stitching and your acquisitions.

Jen said...

Beautiful snow pictures! I always love looking at it, but I don’t miss dealing with it all the time!