Sunday, January 23, 2022

YOP Week #30 Year #11


 Things ended on a good note this week and I am back to my old self after having a brush with Covid!  I am so grateful I am vaccinated and boosted or I probably wouldn't be here right now!  Whew!

I have been remiss in showing a beautiful gift I got from my friend, Connie at Far Side of Fifty blog.  She sent it on time but I got to using it right away as I loved it so much and didn't blog about it.  Plus, I wanted to get her permission before I started spouting off!  LOL!  But here it is.....so awesome!

 First, her hand painted card..........that's a gift right there..........

and then this handmade accessory pouch with a zipper, mind you!  Connie  is very talented! Isn't it gorgeous?  It's mosaic crochet.........

and as if that wasn't enough she tucked these lovely items inside...........too cute for words!  Thank you, Connie, I will treasure these items and think of you every time I use them.

I was going to focus on a big piece for cross stitch and it was the Star full coverage piece by Theresa Kogut.  I got it out and there is a page of the pattern missing!  Another indication that I need to clean my crafts room!  So, I went to the next LIFO (last in first out) which was Stu the snowman. I've worked on him all week and got quite a bit done.........actually he WAS the last one in so it should have been him from the get go.

I also did about 4 rows on my Multnomah shawl using Malabrigo Dachshund colorway in fingering weight.  I had to get this color because of Annie, my little dachshund who has since passed.  I think that's why I stopped working on it.  I cried every time I picked it up.  I must admit I shed a few tears this time too but I also smiled as she was so funny and brought me so much joy! I remembered to put in a progress marker......one of the new ones that Connie gave me....they are clear and different colors....so pretty!

I made one Victorian Lattice Square (pattern on Ravelry) but then I remembered that the "last one in" was the Wintertime blanket so I'll be dragging that one out today.

I did do some sewing too!  I made my project bag which has been cut out and languishing for a long time!  Finally, it is done............

here is the lining......it's just like the first project bag I made except the fabrics are reversed.....

I was pleased with my progress this past week despite the fact that I practically slept for 2 days straight and did nothing!

Today is Sabbath cross stitch and next for sewing is cut backing and batting for that old Christmas quilt.  I have some Christmas cross stitch this week on the 24th and 25th and the other days I will continue to stitch on Stu.  I was supposed to stitch on my Blackbird XS on Saturday but I couldn't find it...imagine that!  

This afternoon I'll be making a menu, grocery list, and making my grocery order to pick up tomorrow.  It has been very cold here....single digits but today is going to be 51 and tomorrow 58!  Perfect for unloading groceries.  I should be home for the rest of the week if I can get everything I need from Walmart.  I need poster board and foam core board but if I can't get it at Walmart I'll have to visit the Dollar General here in town.  I also need to ensure I have Valentine treat ingredients on the list for making for the grands.  My one grandson has a severe peanut allergy so I make everything from scratch for them.  I'm trying to send them a "Grandma Sam" box every month.  Nothing much, some National Geographic magazines, homemade pumpkin seeds, a few books, some teas for my daughter, stickers, a toy catalog.....just miscellaneous items.  Now, I have to get February's ready which will definitely have a Valentine theme.  Who doesn't love to get surprises in the mail?

I'm slowly working on cleaning out kitchen cupboards and need more shelf paper.  I only got one cleaned out last week and that may be my speed but it's still progress! LOL!

Here's a little wisdom from my favorite gal.........Mary Englebreit................ 

I didn't get any haul this week but I ordered some!  I am prepping to participate in Lori Holt's Chicken Salad Quilt Along.  I'm not ordering her materials as it is too much moolah for me but I have material and I did order just a few fat quarters, a notebook, dividers, and her Sew Simple Shapes for the Chickens in Chicken Salad.  I think I'm good to go for starters and it begins on Valentine's Day.....my gift to me!  It will be a long term project which is fine....one block at a time but it should be fun!

That's all for this week in the crafting arena.  I hope you all had a great week and got to make "all the  things"!
 Happy Trails!!!




13 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Connie makes the prettiest cards and she really is talented in so many things. What a nice gift and I am SO glad to hear you are feeling better. Take it easy and try not to do too much. The gifts you send your family are a fun idea! Hugs!

Maureen D said...

Wow. You are indeed lucky to have such a friend that makes beautiful and fun to use items. You definitely had a busy week despite not feeling well. Glad the Covid experience wasn't too bad.

Miss Merry said...

What sweet gifts from Connie! So glad you are feeling better. We woke up to 4-6 more inches so it is a quiet, stay home Sunday today. If school is cancelled tomorrow, I think we will do yeast bag in a bag. I have lots of flour and they love to squeeze.

ceulanfibres said...

How lovely to have a shawl to always remind you of Annie.

Leftycrafter said...

Connie is so talented. That card is wonderful as is the little notions bag. How thoughtful of her to add a little treasure in it too. Stu is going to be a handsome fellow. You did get quite a bit done on him this week. Your shawl is coming along just fine too. Another square for a blanket. How many do you jave now? You are such a sweet Grandma. Making monthly boxes for your grand sons is so nice and including a little something for your daughter issuer sweet.

Betsy said...

Stu is a great snowman and you sure made a lot of progress. Connie is amazing and so thoughtful too. Love the card and the bag is priceless. She chose perfect little gifts too.
I'm so glad that you're feeling better. There is so much going around in addition to covid that it's scary just leaving the house. I have a doctor appointment this week that is a bit scary to go into a medical center because of covid, but it's taken over 5 months to get an appointment with a neurologist here since I'm a new patient, even though I was referred by my Spokane neuro.
Take care Sam. Get rest and don't do too much all at once.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Alissa said...

Lovely gifts and projects!

Susan said...

I am so glad you are back to normal - it sounds like a brush with covid. What a lovely gift! You have reminded me that I need to tackle the mess that is under the kitchen sink. Take care of yourself xo

Jeanna said...

Happy to hear that you are feeling well after the brush with covid. Your snowman stitching is so cute and you are making great progress on your knitting project. I'm sewing Lori Holt's Flea Market Basket quilt but kind of regret no participating in Chicken Salad. Oh well, I'll just live vicariously through you, LOL.

Ella said...

I'm glad you fell better. Even with vaccines and all that jazz, Covid is still scary. Great to see all the progress on your projects. That is going to be on cute snowman!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are so welcome I could not let your birthday just pass by! I love that you are making the shawl in an Annie shade! :)

Breathing Life said...

So glad you are feeling better, and if it was CoVid it sounds like you weathered it well thanks to all your vaccines. I think I had it earlier this month although by the time the doctor sent me for testing my test was negative. You never know though and it is best to be safe. I love the idea of sending a present in the mail each month to your grands. I would do that if I could be assured the mail would get to my granddaughter in a month. The last thing I mailed took six weeks! I love that you have the supplies you need to join the quilt a long. I look forward to your progress.

Jen said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! There is so much stuff going around right now, it’s crazy! Thanks for sharing about your quilt project. I took a look at the pattern and showed it to my daughter. We’re going to get the stencils/templates and try and follow along to make some chicken blocks. It should be an adventure as my sewing skills are almost non existent, lol.