Friday, February 11, 2022

I love beets!

 I have always loved beets but I have never made Borscht.  I finally did yesterday and I was not knowing what to expect but I loved it!  Not only that but it is a super healthy dish.  It was suggested to serve it with some sour cream on top so I did!  This soup has beets, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions, celery and tomatoes.........

I don't know if you remember Jenny Jones who had her own talk show years ago....80's?  I never watched as I was working all the time but I did remember her.  I found some recipes and they were healthy.  I discovered that it was the same Jenny Jones but her website is called Jenny Can Cook.  She has wonderful recipes, healthy, delicious, and no exotic ingredients.  This is where the Borscht recipe came from.  All my recipes this week are from her website.  If you watch her videos she is funny and gives excellent directions and tips.  She even has a recipe for Kettle Corn that you  make in a paper bag in your microwave.

My menu for the next few weeks (all from her recipes):

pizza with homemade dough

stuffed cabbage rolls

salmon patties with caesar salad

fall off the bone ribs

for lunches and/or  breakfasts:

quesadillas

green eggs, no ham

cheese blintzes

Today was beautiful.....65 and sunny so I went out to the highway and filled up the tank.  I changed sheets and did some laundry.  I decided that the 13th and Fridays would be Halloween cross stitch so I worked on the Satsuma ornaments..........

I've been watching the Olympics in the evening.  I watched a couple episodes of Yellowstone but was not impressed.  Not only do they swear like troopers but the violence and cruelty is enough to give you bad dreams.  I will try and watch to see if it improves or if there is some kind of story line but I can't really make any sense out of it.   I finished Where the Crawdads Sing and that was very good.  The Wednesday Sisters not so much.  I'm reading Agatha Christie's biography which has some interesting parts but is just very strange for a biography.  I always hate to give up on movies or books hoping that in the end it will all come together and be wonderful.  I am also reading the 4th book in the Mitford series..........I call the Mitford books "comfort reading" similar to "comfort food" but without the calories.

I hope you had a good day and have wonderful plans for the weekend!

Happy Trails!!! 



6 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

We only made it through 2 Yellowstone shows too. There are so many more shows that actually are entertaining without the language and over the top violence. Not a fan of beets. My husband either. They are very good for you though. My mom loved them. She prepared them lots of different ways and I never found a way that made me look forward to eating them. Lived the Mitford series. I am almost done with all the Hannah Swenson books by Joanne Fluke. You were the one that got me turned on to them. Thanks!

Miss Merry said...

I have enough drama that I don't think I want to watch any on tv. I am rereading my Charlotte MacLeod books which are homey and sweet (even if they are murder mysteries, lol).

Your meals sound delicious, but I can't get on board with the beets. I never liked beets, my mother forced me to eat beets. I got married at 19 and have eaten one beet since then. A few years ago we subscribed to a Community Supported Agriculture program where we picked up vegetables from a local farmer once a week. And week one had beets. I had a recipe where I cut them into fries and baked them somehow. I managed to gag one down with a pile of ranch. Fortunately my children who were denied the pleasure of beets their whole lives absolutely love beets and were more than happy to take all my deliveries off my hands.

Betsy said...

Hi Sam, I need to find a good recipe for borscht as Dennis and I both love beets although I can't eat cabbage because of stomach issues. All of your meals sound wonderful.
Did you read the Hannah Swenson books on a kindle or "real" books? I've been looking for them in "real" book form and havne't found them yet. As you know we loved the mitford serives and have them all.
Enjoy your Saturday my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Far Side of Fifty said...

My grandma used to make pickled beets:) I think you can dye Easter Eggs in the beet juice:) I have not had borscht:)

Alissa said...

I didn't like Yellowstone either, but I'm enjoying 1883. Your menu sounds delicious!

Jeanna said...

My husband loves beets but I can't bring myself to even try them. I've made a couple of Jenny's recipes and love her videos. Your menu sounds delish!