Friday, August 28, 2020

Sunday dinner on a Friday night.......

 I just put a chicken in the oven.........with potatoes, onions and carrot.  It's a good time to post while it's cooking.  It would have been prettier to take a picture after it cooked but I have to do things when I have the time and before I run out of steam!

As you can tell I made it through Laura just fine.....she arrived last night after I was asleep.  The weather radio did go off once for a tornado watch and I woke  up once more with the sounds of the rain beating against the window which isn't easy as I have large eaves.  My real troubles came the night before when I was woken up by what sounded like a helicopter about to crash into my house.  Now, granted, I had been sound asleep but as I listened I realized it was the AC unit in the basement.  I turned off the ac and it stopped.  I went down to the basement, careful to close the door behind me because Miss Peeps is down there at night and I didn't want her upstairs...she makes it difficult to sleep.  I checked the unit and there was no fire so I came back upstairs and closed the door behind me and tried turning the AC back on but the noise it made was horrendous!  I knew I would have to do without it until I could call someone in the morning.   Meanwhile, I wanted to go back downstairs and check on Miss Peeps as I didn't see her when I was down there.  I couldn't open the door!  I tried and tried but the doorknob wouldn't work.  I went back to bed and had a hard time getting back to sleep thinking that just a few minutes before I had gone down to the basement and closed that very door behind me.  If it would have happened when I tried to come back upstairs I would have been locked in the basement!!!  That would have really been a predicament.  God was looking out for me for sure!  I wondered how I could call the HVAC people when they couldn't get to the unit because of the door?  Would I have to call a carpenter first to fix the door?  When I got up yesterday morning I took the door knob off and I could see there was a piece of plastic that was broken.  I googled it but in order to get the latch to move it said I needed a set of hex keys....really?  So, I called the HVAC people and explained the situation and he said not to worry and that they would take care of the door situation also.  PTL!!!  I was so relieved!  Plus, they said they would wear a mask and I told them I would wear one too.  It was a long day as it was the blower that went out.  He got the door open but I need a new doorknob which is fine.  He had to go back to Evening Shade and get another blower motor and then he came back and by 3:00 p.m. I had AC again.  It was cloudy and cooler yesterday so it never bothered me without AC.   I felt very blessed and grateful for many things yesterday!  I hope you are safe and well and feeling blessed too!  I'll try and catch up with you all tomorrow!

P.S.  I told the grandboys to save their allowance so they could get Grandma a Life Alert for Christmas! LOL!

Happy Trails!!!


16 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

A life alert? Oh my, I laughing so hard. You might want to keep a hammer and screw driver in the basement. That way you can take the hinges off the door if need be.

Glad you made it through Laura ok. That was a nasty storm. So much damage in Port Charles and other surrounding areas.

Cousin Kay said...

Glad you're okay! Sheesh!

Miss Merry said...

Oh my goodness. Never rains but it pours! (both for storms and for houses) So glad your HVAC people are kind and helpful. Your chicken is making my mouth water!

Leigh said...

What an ordeal! You deserve a Sunday dinner on Friday! I'm glad Laura didn't give you problems.

diane in northern wis said...

Enjoying your blog! Your meal will be yummy. And I'm so glad you got your door and AC fixed! Praise the Lord.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my goodness...sound like the time Chance and I were locked outside when the door knob broke...luckily we didn't freeze to death...Far Guy heard me struggling with the door...once we got in were were locked in til morning when the knob was fixed. You will have to leave tools in the basement...like a saw or an ax!
Glad you got your AC fixed...if it isn't one thing it is another...maybe you should carry a phone with you ALL the time!

Betsy said...

That chicken looks like it would be delicious when cooked. Yum! There is nothing like roasted chicken or turkey to make the house smell wonderful.
I'm glad Laura didn't give you any trouble because it sounds as if you had enough already. Thank goodness the knob worked when you were in the basement checking the A/C. And thank goodness the HVAC people were so helpful and got it taken care of quickly. God was watching out for you my dear friend.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Yes, I don't think I could live on the coast...I get nervous here when we have fire danger.
Yes, but I would have to keep them in every room as the door knobs are all the same! LOL!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Is that really you? I though you went by Ellen now? LOL! It was a nothing burger....those weather people! Although the weather radio did go off with a tornado watch but I only get up if it's a warning....lol!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Yes, they are great people...pricey but great! LOL! They're all pricey when it comes to anything mechanical and since I can't fix I guess they are worth every penny!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you...yes, roast chicken and vegetables is comfort food especially when you can smell it all afternoon cooking.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you! That is exactly what I said! PTL!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I need to get a cell phone. I guess I could have taken my cordless phone. Maybe I shoudl get a holster for it! LOL!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Betsy! I am one blessed woman that's for sure! But like my daughter said...."knowing you, Mom, you would have found a way to get out somehow". She's probably right as I am not one to sit and stew...I'm an "action figure"! LOL!

Between Me and You said...

Now that's a warning if ever I heard one about getting stuck in your basement! Hope you get your door made safe and sound. Thank you for popping over to mine and leaving your sweet comment. My 'High Schooler' grandbaby has to wear a mask inside school as from tomorrow. Things seem to be getting more difficult instead of improving. It's all making me a bit weary, I'm afraid. Your roast chicken dinner looks delicious. Will it last you all week?

felisha green said...


This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

-Phone hacks (remotely)
-Credit repair
-Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
-Make money from home (USA only)
-Social media hacks
-Website hacks
-Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
-Grade change

Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com