Sunday, February 12, 2023

YOP Week #33 Year 12

 Well, the t.v. is not working but I can get You Tube on my phone which is about all I watch anyway. Although I have Paramount Plus free from Walmart.  I imagine I will get a new t.v. eventually but right now I'm too busy! LOL!

I have a finish this week...........just in time for Valentine's Day........this was a free pattern from Colorado Cross Stitcher...........it will end  up as a small pillow....

I also have a fully finished object............this was a free pattern from Hands On Design during the pandemic..........the frame I got at The Dollar Tree and I painted it.  I found some ribbon I had and framed the XS with it.  The XS piece fit into the frame exactly but I needed to cover the zigzagged edges........I painted the beads too...........


I told you how I found my old hexie (English Paper Piecing) project but some of you are new here so I will show it all.......this is how it will look when done....

This is the book it came from and it is called The Pickle Dish.........these gals have a quilt shop in Pearl City which isn't too far from my hometown in Northern Illinois.  Hopefully, I'll be able to visit there some day and meet the designers.............

If you look at the photo you will see there are 11 full diamonds...I am just finishing up number 11....

Here they are...........some still have the basting stitches in them.......




These are all sewn by hand around a cardboard hexagon.....there are many different shapes though.  You might think I am almost done but you would be wrong..........I have the 11 whole diamonds but as you can see below there are 12 more partial diamonds not counting all the connecting diamonds if you look at the first photo.  So, my work here is not done, but I enjoy it, and I can do it while watching T.V. ......well, when I had a t.v.  Now, I listen to audio podcasts.  I did discover that now people use a glue pen to get the fabric around the cardboard hexie.  You still have to stitch them together but that still saves loads of time!  I have ordered a glue pen and refills!  This is one project I would love to finish and get up on my wall.  You will probably see my progress every week...that is if I make progress! LOL!

Now, for the best finish of all........my Christmas quilt.....finally!!!  There are many mistakes but I learned a lot especially on quilting it myself on my sewing machine.  I will be buying a free motion attachment and learning how to do that eventually.  I am just happy that when I washed and dried it that it didn't fall apart! 

My next quilting project will be my bed quilt and also the Block of the Month club that I will be receiving this month some time.

The Valentine's Day SAL will be starting and I am all set.  I found material, cut it to size, and zigzagged the edges so they won't fray.  I had some pink material but I coffee dyed it to tone it down a bit.

That's all for this week.  This coming week, I will be cleaning and oiling my sewing machine and cleaning my sewing area before starting on the bed quilt and hopefully, the BOM quilt if it arrives.  I'll do another final finish, work on the hexie project and work on a XS project.  I should do some crochet and knit on my sock.

I hope you have a great week ahead!

Happy Trails!!!
  




10 comments:

Cousin Kay said...

Your Christmas quilt looks great and I love the "Choose Happiness" hangng.

Maureen D said...

wow. You have been busy!! The Christmas quilt is beautiful. Love your needlework with the ribbon trim. One of my fellow knitters here in Florida is making those fabric hexigons. Not sure what her final plan is but making the hexigons was an easy travel project.

Leftycrafter said...

You did get your Valentine XS completed before the 14th! Congrats. You did a superb job on framing your happy xs. Love the ribbon you used on it. The quilt!!!!!! It turned out fantastic! You did a wonderful job on quilting it on your machine. Those hexies are coming along nicely. How nice you found a technique to save you some time on them. Sorry your TV bit the dust. Now you have more crafting time!

Miss Merry said...

Your Christmas Quilt is just wonderful!!! I love it!!! The colors, the size - the pattern, so pretty! And congratulations on a finished project!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice finish on your Christmas quilt! You are staying busy...too bad about the TV:(

Jeanna said...

This is a great YOP post. Love the hexie project and I look forward to following your progress on it. Congratulations on the beautiful fininsh of your Christmas quilt. My machine needs service so badly...must get to it.

Cinna Knits said...

I simply LOVE how you finished/framed the choose happy piece! The whimsical beads, the paint and the ribbon are so perfect.
Your pieced hexagons are coming along so nicely too.

Lucy Bowen said...

I don't know how you find the time with TV as well! But I'm still sorry it has stopped! Your Christmas quilt is beautiful and the hexie project is going to be just as fabulous.

HighlandHeffalump said...

Your Christmas quilt is fabulous, has a very cheery feel about it. The valentine finished xs is very sweet. With your hexies if you tally up the left over parts it’s only the equivalent of 5 full ones so you are more than a 2/3rds finished. I’m sure once finished and hung it will be amazing on the wall. Is it not heavy if the shapes are all full of cardboard? I’ve never done or seen someone do patchwork.

Susan said...

I love how you framed your piece - the beds add a lovely touch to the frame . .I might try that on something soon. Well done finishing the Christmas quilt.
Yes, still a long way to go on your hexie quilt - but sa you say - relaxing hand sewing. Good Luck with the glue pen..its a fine line between enough glue & too much glue.