Saturday, August 19, 2023

Finding some treasures right here in my own home!!!

 I've been clearing and cleaning as I have mentioned, and the other day I was going through some of my many books.  I have some really old books too.  One was written by Eleanor Roosevelt and she signed it!  I didn't even realize that and I've had the book for years.  It was published in 1949, the year I was born so it is 74  years old.  I need to read it!


here are some of my  other antique books.....but there are more than these too!


I have an old medical book dating back to the Civil War...it's falling apart so I have it tucked away.  I'll get it out and show you some day.  I also have an antique American Flag.  I got all these books cheap at  library sales down here and the flag too.

I packed up more thrift stuff today, cleaned my iron with Faultless Iron Cleaner which worked slick.  The only problem is that you have to do it with the iron on the really hot setting.  It worked but I was really afraid I was going to burn myself but I didn't.  I have a newer iron but it is big and bulky and  I love my Mother's old iron so the other one will be going to the Thrift Store!

I made some Cappuccino Shortbread today..........I haven't tasted it yet so I'll let you know, and if it's good I'll share the recipe.  It's from Tate's Cookbook.  You can buy their cookies in the store.  They're known for "crispy" cookies which are my favorite kind of cookie....even a little burned is fine with me.  Sorry the photo is a bit blurred.

This is the truth too...I even had one of those baskets.....I eventually threw it out............. 

Happy Trails!!!



5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting books, we have a couple old books that Gene's grandmother kept:)

Miss Merry said...

The hardest thing for me to part with is books.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How fun to find treasures even when they are in your own home. Fabulous books and such a treasure to have a signed book by Eleanor Roosevelt as well. I bet it will be an interesting read. Sounds like you have had a busy day. The shortbread looks so yummy.

Between Me and You said...

Your Eleanor Roosevelt books looks so treasurable. she was certainly someone to be admired. I think she came in for a lot of unnecessary ctiticism, especially for her looks. That must have been very hurtful to her, FLOTUS or otherwise. I took two vintage history books to an antique barn I know of yesterday. They were dated 1914 but the owner of the barn said there's not much call for old books, since most collectors will already have them and the young folks have no use for them these days. Was hard to let them go because the illustrative plates inside were wonderful but what's the point in keeping them?have a good week and thanks so much for visiting my cyber space. Great to have you there.x

Jeanna said...

You have some nice older books and the Eleanor Roosevelt one is a treasure. I've not tried the Faultless Iron Cleaner but it sounds like you were happy with the results. I prefer and older and heavier iron. I look forward to hearing what you thought about the shortbread.