Sunday, September 6, 2020

YOP Week #10


 It's been a good week for "finishes" again!  I finished my first sampler ever and I have plans for more!

It still needs a 'final finish'  but I was pleased with how it turned out and I enjoyed stitching it.  This was a free pattern from Blackbird designs on their website and I used the called for colors and I stitched it on 14 count Aida that I had coffee/tea dyed.

My other finish was a 'final' finish of a little pillow I had stitched last year from another free pattern that I don't remember where I got.  I tried the new method (for me) of sewing all 4 sides and then making a slit in the back for stuffing and then gluing a piece of felt or felted wool over the hole.  It was also the first time I used trim which didn't go too well.  I stitched it wrong and had to undo the entire pillow and start over.  Even then I didn't leave much of the trim showing and on one part it doesn't show at all.  It was a learning experience and hopefully I'll get better at it.

here's the back...I copied Celeste Creates method, and pin with buttons.....the backing fabric has little pumpkins on it.  I call these little pillows "bowl fillers" as people will stitch a bunch of them and put them in a bowl of some sort.  I don't have enough yet for a bowl so I'd better get busy! LOL!


The other items that received some love this week were my Brill shawl although it was 5 steps forward and 10 steps back.  I have to pick up over 400 stitches and I thought I was doing pretty well as I had almost 100 when I realized I was almost halfway and I knew that wasn't going to work out!  So, I had to rip it out and start over and pick up 2 stitches in every stitch of the trim in order to get the required number.  I am putting a stitch marker every 20 stitches so it will be easier to count and keep track of as I go along.  I remember Betsy Makes mentioning that this part was a bit fiddly and trying, but after that it was home sailing.

I did work on When Witches Go Riding too ..................I had to redo the 2nd cat after I found a mistake so again....5 steps forward and 10 steps back!  But it is an enjoyable stitch and really gets me in the spirit of the season!

I have made categories related to my cross stitch as there are many different types that I am interested in stitching.  They are,  1) red work, 2) samplers, 3) seasonal, 4) holidays,  5) smalls and maybe 6) gifts If I deem anyone worthy enough....lol!

I have my red work in progress......and I need to get back to it..............this is the first time I have used silk thread and it is a dream to stitch with but expensive so not sure I'll be using it very often.

The next project I am thinking of is a combination of a holiday and a sampler.......I have yet to order it.

I haven't figured out the rest of the categories but I'm sure I have them laying around here somewhere!  Last year I was gifted some cross stitch patterns already kitted with the pattern, floss and fabric but the fabric was linen and after that black cat I did on 40 count linen I swore never again.  But then I watch podcasts where all these people are stitching on 40 count linen and even 46 and 56!  What?  Well, I've picked up a few clues by watching these podcasts and my problem was not in the seeing so much as the irregularity of the weave.  First of all black is the hardest to see and secondly I was stitching in hand and everyone that stitches on linen uses a stretcher of some kind...hoop, scroll bar etc.  So, I have decided I will give it a go again as I have quite a bit of linen in my stash that was included in kits and I hate to waste it.  Here's the kit I have and it is beautiful......the gal that sent me the majority of these things was so generous and I can't believe she gave me so much.  There had to be hundreds of dollars of materials patterns and fabric!  It was an awesome gift and I appreciate it more and more each day!

This kit contained 2 patterns and all the floss and fabric needed to complete both...........not sure which one I will do first..........

These are all hand dyed flosses too.........

and the linen.............

That's all for this week.  For those of you in the U.S. happy Labor Day and to all of you stay safe, stay well, and keep making and creating!

Happy Trails!!!


14 comments:

Ella said...

I really admire your embroidery, I just don't have enough patience. Yours look so lovely.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Congratulations on your first sampler! And that pumpkin pillow is adorable! I love the Gathering Berries, So many great projects!!!

Maureen D said...

I hate picking up stitches so good for you to do a project that requires so many picked up stitches. It's why I don't do heel flap socks. I'm a Fish Lips Kiss heel lady every pair!!
https://knittingissofun.wordpress.com/

Leftycrafter said...

Your sampler is cute. What will you do to 'finish' it? The pumpkin pillow is sweet and I love your backing idea. I had never heard of bowl pillows until this year. That is another great idea. Your red cross stitch is so pretty. You have some gorgeous stitchery lined up.

Miss Merry said...

Gosh, all your projects are just wonderful!

Betsy said...

Hi Sam! You're making progress on all of your projects. It doesn't matter if you have to redo some things. If you enjoy them anyway it just means you get to do them twice! :-)
Do you have plans for Labor Day? We're just at home at the trailer. We're going to be driving to Omaha again next week for the memorial service. This time I'm going along so he doesn't have to do that 26 hour drive by himeself for the second time in two weeks.
Take care and keep stitching.
Blessings,
Betsy

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Sam you have been busy! Yes the radio works in the car! :)

Cinna Knits said...

I LOVE all your cross stitch! You are inspiring me to try again!

Breathing Life said...

I like the idea of having all the little pillows in a bowl. I love the red silk you are using for the berries! You must have very good eyes, or very very bright light to work on such fine linen and with fine stitches. Isn't the internet great for watching how others do things and picking up tricks?

Becki said...

I love your finishes, and your on-going cross stitches, and all of the ones you're planning to do. You may inspire me to pick up some more patterns. I'm already getting ready to order more floss from 123 Stitch. Let's see if I can restrain myself when it comes to the patterns...

HighlandHeffalump said...

I love your little pumpkin cushion and the edge looks good in the photo. I don’t understand the pin with the buttons, what is their purpose? Is it to prop it up? I notice you never put a tacking cotton cross on your fabrics and so I guess always are counting from the first stitch you’ve made. Do you think tacking a grid on the linen may help?

Lucy Bowen said...

I love all of your stitching, but the sampler and your pillows are gorgeous.

Elka Knits said...

I am enjoying watching all your cross stitching take shape. The pumpkins are fab {not at all being influenced by pumpkin season!!!}. I like that yellow and blue on your Brill.

felisha green said...


This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

-Phone hacks (remotely)
-Credit repair
-Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
-Make money from home (USA only)
-Social media hacks
-Website hacks
-Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
-Grade change

Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com