Sunday, July 16, 2023

YOP Week #3 Year 13

 Well, I did not meet all the goals I set last week but I accomplished most of them.  I worked on the Snowy Owl and I was now able to transfer it to the circular needles which I am much more comfortable with.

I thought working with bulky yarn and big needles would be easy but not so.  I prefer smaller needles and yarn....

I'm still working on Jim's cross stitch and the anniversary of his death is the 24th of July so I am hoping to finish it by then but I doubt it will happen.  The words go fast but the other parts will take longer I'm sure.  I can't believe it will be 4 years!  Plus, I'm not sure I agree with the saying on the piece but overall it was the best pattern I could find at the time.  I tried working on it many times but it was too painful.  Now I can handle it and mostly good memories come to the surface.  2019 was a tough summer!  I lost Nitty, my Rottweiler on June 14th, Flag Day, when she was 14.  Jim on the 24th of July at age 38, and 2 days later on the 26th which was also Grayson's birthday, I lost Annie age 14.  Poor Grayson, we spent his birthday at the vet and then we were all sad, Grayson too.  Thank goodness every summer isn't like that one!

I worked some more on the diamond painting border and crocheted about 10 more Battenberg squares.

I finally finished Block of the Month #5!  This was a tough one and there was much gnawing of teeth over it.  I finally got it together as best I could.  There are puckers that I can't get out but it will have to do.  I was hoping to get block #6 cut out but that didn't happen.  Hopefully this week.

I have some treasures coming in the mail.  I had spun the wheel on my "crafts" and it came up Rug Hooking so since it has been years since I've done any I decided to order some small kits to help me get back in the swing of it.  I also ordered a new hook because the one I have is too small, I think.  I dug up my wool strip cutter........

but I still have to unearth my frame which is in my closet blocked by more "stuff".  I used to go to Goodwill and buy wool clothing, come home and wash and dry (felting) and then sort by color.  I would leave it whole as sometimes I needed it for wool applique or if I needed it for rug hooking I would cut the strips on my cutter pictured above.  There are different blades for different widths of strips.  If I remember correctly, it cuts 4 strips at a time.  I also used to dye my own wool and I had a book which showed primitive color recipes, as it was primitive rugs that I preferred. 

So, the plan for the week ahead is to cut out BOM #6, work on The Snowy Owl, do more diamond painting, crochet more Battenburg squares and if the kits show up I will do some rug hooking.  I am so excited to get back to it.  I will also continue working on Jim's piece and if a miracle time slot opens up I will work on the Star blanket.

I hope you had a great week and are looking forward to the next!

Happy Trails!!!


10 comments:

nypeapod said...

I am also working on a bulky knit and it does cause hand strain. I find I can only knit for small blocks of time using the large needles and bulky weight. Like you I thought oh, this will knit up faster than socks, but sadly that is not the case.

Maureen D said...

I will take hope from your being able to do a memory cross stitch in only 4 years since your son's death. I am still so angry and it was my nephew, not my son. I have found I cannot bare to attend church services anymore. I tried in the spring but was so angry about singing songs of praise (are you kidding me!!!!) that I have not gone back.

Leftycrafter said...

I am interested in seeing how you do rug hooking. I think your BOM #5 looks pretty good. Those puckers may work out once it is joined to the entire quilt. Or they are a design element. WOW, 4 years since that horrible summer for you. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Bulky yarn is really tough on arthritic hands. It may go fast but is so hard to work with. I also prefer smaller needles and yarn.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Just craft what makes you happy:) Four years...I know that was such a sad summer for you and your family. Be kind to yourself!

Betsy said...

Your quilt square is beautiful. I remember well that summer. I don't know how you coped with such grace. So much loss so quickly. I remember praying constantly for you for months. I think your memory cross stitch is so pretty and maybe even a bit healing for you? Connie had good advice. Be kind to yourself.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Lin said...

How on earth you can knit that tiny piece on circular needles I don't know! I am definitely a four pin girl. Your block will be fine - those puckers will disappear when you quilt the block. I did some rug hooking as a child when my parents made rugs but haven't done any since. xx

Jeanna said...

You made good progress on Snowy Owl. Your cross stitch is looking very nice as well, even though I imagine it can be hard to work on. I agree with the other ladies about the quilt block. It's pretty and those puckers will likely disappear once it is quilted. I've never done any rug hooking so it'll be fun to see your projects.

Cinna Knits said...

Grief is bad enough to begin with, but then just to keep piling it up takes a long time to manage. I hope your heart has healed.

My sweet spot for knitting hand comfort is DK-Aran weight or needle size 6-9 on large projects. Little projects are much easier to have a big range for- they just don't have all that weight!

I can't wait to see your rug projects! I always love looking at the rug art at fiber festivals.

HighlandHeffalump said...

Time can play such tricks on us about how it passes, especially with the loss of loved ones. The cross stitch is such a nice way to remember him. Your block looks great. As someone who hasn’t really seen any rug hooking I’m intrigued and excited to hear more about it and see what you make. Ladies at our Guild make rugs on a peg loom but I’m not sure if this is the sme or totally different.

Lucy Bowen said...

I remember that year well - I'm always so impressed with your strength and poise. As always I love all of your projects. I hope today is one with the good memories. X