Sunday, July 30, 2023

YOP Week #5 Year 13

 We had a humdinger of a storm last night and there had been only a 5% chance of rain.  I was in bed reading and all of a sudden my phone was informing me there was a severe thunderstorm headed our way with really strong winds, hail, thunder, and lightening....they weren't kidding!  I could hear the wind and when I looked out it had knocked my bushes (in containers that I haven't planted yet....waiting for it to cool off) over and there were some branches down.  The lights flickered a couple times but we never lost power.....PTL!  That's the biggest storm so far this year and it kept going at a milder pace until this morning.  So, I don't have to water today!  Yay!

It's been a fairly productive week.  I finally finished my Block of The Month block #6!  I did a lot of "unsewing" again but it looks pretty good.  If I see a mistake I can't let it go....I have to redo it which sewing is nice in that it allows you to do that.  Although, I think some of the fabric gets a bit tired...lol.

I finished another "hooked" star, #2 and started on #3.  You need to hook all of them before cutting them apart and doing the finishing otherwise you won't have enough fabric to put them on the gripper frame.

I'm making progress on the Snowy Owl....I finished the bottom and I'm now working on the body.....I leave the hooked stars and the snowy owl on my kitchen table and when I have a minute I sit down and work on a round of each..........

I worked on joining a few Battenberg squares but I don't have the method memorized yet so it's slow going.  I still make a few squares in the evening too........

I'm hoping to do a final finish on this little mini today........

Last week when I spun the wheel it came  up with Jim's cross stitch again so I worked on it all week....

This morning I spun the wheel and it came up Stars XS so tomorrow I will be revisiting that project for the week.  It's just as well because I ran out of floss for the letters on Jim's so I had to order some but by the time it comes around again I will have the floss.

I did get some haul this week which I showed the other day.....


and last night I ordered some floss and a Halloween ornament pattern by Tiny Modernist, and there was a little mini pattern on their flash sale that I grabbed too.  So, there are several treasures coming this week!  Many of these are presents.   If you make Christmas presents it is time to get busy! 

 I finished reading Joy School by Elizabeth Berg, it was okay.   Basically, this is a 3 part series about a girl growing up and the trials and tribulations.  I was a tomboy and into horses and animals and wanting to become a veterinarian and I have a hard time relating to girls that only thought about boys and makeup....I guess I was unusual and I probably still am.  I did finally have an interest in boys but I was not a flirt and I never chased after any and I didn't wear much makeup ever.  So, I am now reading the 3rd and last book in the series.....True to Form.......we'll see how it ends up....it's based on the same time period that I grew up in so that part is sort of interesting.........

 My creating goals for the week ahead are to keep working on The Snowy Owl, make Star #3, cut out BOM #7, join more Battenberg squares, work on Star XS, embroidery sampler and maybe, just maybe, sew up a project bag.  I won't bore you with my household goals.  Although, truth be told, there isn't anything I don't enjoy as long as I can go at my own speed.....slow...lol!

 Just remember..........

Happy Trails!!!




11 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Glad you didn't have any problems from your storm. I love a good storm but don't like the damage it can cause. Your BOM looks darn good to me. That quilt is going to be awesome when completed. Your little mini xs is cute. I love mini xs. Too bad I only have huge ones I am working on. I really like your wheel idea. If I didn't have deadlines on some items, that would be fun. Maybe once I finish my deadline items I will get one going for me too.

nypeapod said...

Wow, you were very busy. I loved your term for seam ripping, unsewing. I do that a lot on my sewing journey.

Maureen D said...

Glad you made it through the storms. We have had quite a few too. Good news - we have plenty of water in our cistern! Your quilt square looks great. Funny, one reason I don't like sewing is because I feel you can see the fabric damage if I have to rip out a seam. Love your Battenbern squares. That will be so pretty. I too am not a girly girl. Maybe that's why I frequently don't like the books picked by my Y book club. Zero interest in Little Women, etc. I'm thankful no one told me I couldn't be an engineer until I was already in engineering school and found my classes were 90% male. Too bad. I knew I was smart enough to pass the classes.

Miss Merry said...

I heard rattling the other night and thought someone was breaking in. Then the skies opened! No rain was forecast for us either, but we sure like having it show up. I can do without the lightening and winds, though. We are surrounded by corn fields and I swear I am watching stalks grow in real time.

I am the same way with piecing quilt blocks. It was the way I was taught and I can't stop myself. If it isn't perfect, I have to pick out the stitches until it is right. Your block is beautiful.

I decided I don't NEED the fair fabric, but it is pretty cool! I have told myself that I am blocked from purchasing until I complete some UFOs.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wish we would get rain...I am starting to worry about forest fires:( Good thing you didn't lose electricity!

Betsy said...

Hi Sam! Happy Sunday! We had a 10% chance of rain today and the heaven's opened up and it poured around 5:00 this afternoon. I was just thinking of going to walk around the fair and watch Piper in the fashion show, but I quickly changed my mind. I wasn't driving out into the country in that heavy wind and rain.
I enjoyed seeing all of projects you're working on. Those stars are really special.
Take care and stay cool.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Jeanna said...

We had a crazy storm come through Saturday night as well. We mostly had leaves all over the place, no downed limbs, thankfully. You are making great progress on all of your projects. I have no idea what I'm doing for Christmas gifts, but you are right, it's time to get busy!

Lucy Bowen said...

Lol - spam!
Glad the storm didn't cause you too many problems. It's a great idea to alternate on those projects. Your battenburg is lovely - I really must get back to mine!

Cinna Knits said...

My favorite thing about summer rain is not having to water my plants!!

Your projects are all looking adorable, and I can't wait to see what the little stars look like all finished up.

I also am SLOW with household chores, they are SO BORING. But alas, I dislike a dirty house more than I dislike cleaning it.

Anonymous said...

I hope the weather has calmed down this last week and your fallen plants survived. The battenberg pieces look great together.

Anonymous said...

Liz wrote above