Monday, May 31, 2021

Stitch Maynia Day #31 and Memorial Day

 


 I remember when I was about 11 or 12 we moved from Chicago to our first home on Memorial Day.   Most other Memorial Days I remember putting in the garden.  Mother's Day I was given flowers for outside but Memorial Day was putting in the garden for as long as I can remember.  I made a rose garden with WW2 roses in honor of my parents who both served but I had to leave it behind on my little farm. 

 Not to break with tradition, I did some planting today.............along with putting out some decorations in honor of all who fought valiantly for this country and made the ultimate sacrifice.  My father's younger brother died in WW2 and received the purple heart.  There was a big framed certificate of it yet I never saw a picture of him.  

I can only manage to plant one tote in a day. I burnt drainage holes in it with my soldering iron, fill it with brush and things I can rake up in the yard.  Next I take all the old dirt from last years containers and cover the brush, then I put in compost, then fresh potting soil.  Today I got everything else outside and I planted 2 peppers; 1 green pepper plant and 1 banana pepper plant.  They have a bug that looks like sawdust.  I sprayed them with a dilute solution of Dawn and water.  Hopefully, that will take care of it plus being outside helps.  Does anyone know what it could be?

Can you see it?

I have 2 tomatoes on my one of my tomato plants..........

For the last day of Stitch Maynia 2021 I am stitching a design by Little House Needleworks that was a free pattern during the early days of the pandemic.  There are 2 patterns; one is LHN and the other is by her daughter, Country Cottage Needleworks.  I prefer the mother's colors as the daughter does lots of pastels and I am not a fan of pastels.

Here's my progress...........

I've got some old flower boxes I need to paint but since it is going to rain for the next few days (we already have a flood watch!) I decided to put them outside for mother nature to wash....I also got some more Wet & Forget to use on the driveway and the rest of the sidewalk this year.  It worked slick last year!  Thanks, Connie!

Finally, yesterday I got a chance to sew and finished up my squares for the little mini-quilt I've been working on.  Tomorrow I hope to sew it all together since it's going to be a rainy day....I'm not sure if I will sew it together exactly like I laid it out but you get the drift.

I hope you've had a peaceful weekend and time to reflect on the special meaning of today here in the states.

Happy Trails!!!






5 comments:

Becki said...

A tradition of planting a garden on Memorial Day seems like a good one. And with it cool here today, it sure would have been perfect to do some planting. I'm thinking of not bothering this summer, though. It appears we may have a cooler than normal summer (I hope), so maybe I won't regret not getting anything significant planted. I will, however enjoy watching your goodies grow. :)

Miss Merry said...

My grandmother always said not to plant before Memorial Day here in northern Ohio. And she was right! I have enjoyed all your stitch mania projects!!!

Betsy said...

I just have flowers planted this year. Maybe next year I can get some other things planted too if I can find a good location. However, the deer seem to eat everything worth eating so I'm pretty sure it would be a wasted effort. It sounds like you have a lot of good patriotic family members. My Dad served in the Navy in WWII. My oldest brother was also in the Navy. My BIL was in the army. We are
I'm missing my Mom these days. I think it's living back in the place I grew up. I need to toughen up a bit. I think
Take care and enjoy your projects.
Blessings,
Betsy

Leftycrafter said...

You have done so well with planting this year. I have no idea what bug is on the leaves of the pepper plant.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bought some more wet and forget also! I just have not had time to apply it yet! I will guess you have spider mites on that plant...but that is just a guess...
Hope your totes work well for you! :)